Sign in to follow this  
Andy474

[XNA] 3D Free-form Polygons

Andy474    694
Hello there guys, hopefully a quick Question. I Am going to make a 3D Board game and I am currently struggling with the Concept of my world Map. Now, I am trying to replicate something along the lines of Risk Risk (Wiki) Now I need to crate the board however this requires free-form polygons here is the Game board Layout I will use Board Now, the Problem, as you might be able to see id that each region, has many edges and is, essentially a free-form Polygon. Now i have thought around one wayof doing this. 1/ Create the Models in Sketchup(google) and import these like a normal model. - problem: Detecting mouse over, I cant use a bounding Sphere as it may cross over to another region 2/ Could I use Lines joined by two VertexPositionTextureNormal (or such) to create a region. Any thoughts on this appreciated, its been rattling my friend for a while now. or if anyone know a way of drawing shapes, e.g. free-form polygons that could do this.

TheTroll    883
Actually it doesn't need what you think you need.

You don't need the regions to be "exact", you need each region to have a "player area". That way you can put the armies in that area and you don't have to worry about making the region perfect. You just underlay the map under your other stuff and you be done.

theTroll