Loading an Image with DirectX

Started by
8 comments, last by Gage64 14 years ago
I am new to using DirectX, but does anyone know a function to display a bitmap image on the screen? If you can give me some code or a tutorial it would be lots of help. Thanks in advance!
If I asked you for a hundred dollars would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?
Advertisement
One way:

1. Create a LPD3DXSPRITE object and initialize it
2. Create a LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 object and initialize it using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile or D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx and the bitmap file
3. Use the LPD3DXSPRITE object to draw the texture

You can find info on how to do these things on MSDN.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
Can you give me some example code please?
If I asked you for a hundred dollars would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?
LPD3DXSPRITE d3dspt;    // the pointer to our Direct3D Sprite interfaceLPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 sprite;    // the pointer to the spriteD3DXCreateSprite(gdevice, &d3dspt);    // create the Direct3D Sprite object    D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(gdevice,    // the device pointer                                "Sprites//Menu//Panel2.png",    // the new file name                                D3DX_DEFAULT,    // default width                                D3DX_DEFAULT,    // default height                                D3DX_DEFAULT,    // no mip mapping                                NULL,    // regular usage                                D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,    // 32-bit pixels with alpha                                D3DPOOL_MANAGED,    // typical memory handling                                D3DX_DEFAULT,    // no filtering                                D3DX_DEFAULT,    // no mip filtering                                D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 255),    // the hot-pink color key                                NULL,    // no image info struct                                NULL,    // not using 256 colors                                &sprite);    // load to spritein Beginscene you needd3dspt->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND);    // // begin sprite drawing with transparency	// draw the sprite    D3DXVECTOR3 center(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);    // center at the upper-left corner    D3DXVECTOR3 position(350.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);    // position at 50, 50 with no depth    d3dspt->Draw(sprite, NULL, &center, &position, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(127, 255, 255, 255));    d3dspt->End();    // end sprite drawing
:)
Only one problem. What is gdevice?
Now I'm getting linking errors:

1>Universe Stick.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExW@56
1>Universe Stick.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateSprite@8
IDirect3DDevice9* gdevice;
you need to link the .lib files in the directx sdk
I added that and now I get these errors:

1>Universe Stick.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExW@56 referenced in function "long __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAJPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>Universe Stick.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateSprite@8 referenced in function "long __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAJPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)

And I do have the DirectX Libraries linked.
Are you also linking to D3DX? The lib file is called d3dx9d.lib (for the debug version, which is probably what you're using).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement