• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hodgman

Light pre-pass + MSAA

This topic is 2977 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

From what I've read, one of the main benefits of LPP over traditional deferred is that it supports hardware MSAA. Other benefits include: different approach to shader permutations, smaller GBuffer size. Cons include: extra CPU/GPU cost for rendering more geometry passes. For me, the lack of MSAA on (DX9 level) deferred renderers is one of their main problems, so 'upgrading' to LPP seems like a good idea. Now, if you were given an LPP renderer that had no anti-aliasing support whatsoever, would you be a bit confused / disappointed, or would you still use it anyway for the other benefits?

Advertisement
For sure, depends on your needs I guess. On my last project, we decided to do LPP mainly for the options of running custom post pass shaders (eg skin) per objects, without having to cram them together in the lighting pass. It made the cost of one-off shaders much smaller.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!