D3D11 tutorial

Started by
6 comments, last by manders 14 years ago
Hi! Can anyone recommend me an *as-simple-as-possible* draw a single triangle Direct3D 11 tutorial on the internet? I've found only a few of them. And yes, I tried Google too. THX!
Advertisement
The DX SDK doesn't have basic tutorials specifically for D3D11, but you can read the tutorials 0 to 2 in the D3D10 documentation to see how to render a triangle.

D3D11 initialization is extremely similar, with the only major difference being that the device interface is now split in two - one for resource creation (ID3D11Device) and one for resource usage (ID3D11DeviceContext). However, this is not very difficult.

Niko Suni

They've changed how you map data to buffers too. Now it's done via a device context and subresources. That would make things a bit of a pain if you're using a D3D10 tutorial and changing things from ID3D10xxxx to ID3D11xxxx!
That's true. Now I'm porting dx10 sample #2 to dx11 and... problems, problems, problems. And all the FX functions are gone.
Effects isn't gone, it's now part of the SDK as build it yourself source. The visual studio project files and source code are all there and just need to be built and and then placed in a location that you can use them.
Yes, if there is no tutorial for DX11, then search for DX10 ^^. Most of the questions can be answered this way.

Drawing "as simple as possivle" triangle is the hardest thing in DX11 D3D. If you have already your triangle, then all the other things are simple.

Download the SlimDX-SDK (which is the DX 1:1 wrapper for DX) and there is a small simple triangle tutorial. There you can see, how you can draw it. I think, because SlimDX only wraps DX, it could be easy to figure it out, how you can do this in C++. You also can look into the source code of SlimDX to get the proper native call for a function.
Thanks for everyone! I appreciate your help.
My triangle demo is almost ready (comments needed and some MSDN search). If someone needs it, just ask for it here or in a PM, and I'll put it on the net in a few days (with lots of comments of course, with links and resources).

THX

ps.: http://dx11.org.uk Is a great placeto start learning D3D11.
Hi,

See this link for a minimal D3D11 triangle sample that I wrote:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=559367&whichpage=1�

-Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement