Raw mouse input, how to zero values when not moving?

Started by
0 comments, last by transistor09 14 years ago
Hi, I'm using the win32 raw mouse input within the window messageProc, so when it receives the WM_INPUT message I then set my mouseX and mouseY values. My problem is that those values are only set when the mouse is moved, so that they aren't set to 0 when the mouse isn't moving. This is causing problems with my mouse look, making it drift around the place. I tried setting a mouseMoved flag to true when the mouseX and mouseY variables are set, and then in my main loop I am doing this:

while(1) {
   runWindowMessages();

runGameCodeIncludingMouseLook();

if(!mouseMoved) {
       mouseX=mouseY=0;
   }
   mouseMoved = false;
}
But this just makes things jerky, since when the mouseX and mouseY are sampled, most of the time they are getting (0,0). (This is with vsync off btw.) Thanks.
Advertisement
I do it like this:
//in the main/game loop	if (mouse.lmb) xRot += mouse.x - mouse.xOld;	if (mouse.lmb) yRot += mouse.y - mouse.yOld;	mouse.xOld = mouse.x;	mouse.yOld = mouse.y;//in the message loop	case WM_MOUSEMOVE:		mouse.x = GET_X_LPARAM (lParam);		mouse.y = GET_Y_LPARAM (lParam);		break;

Works like a charm.

Edit:
Oh wait, mouse look
Then you should do it like this:
Get the mouse coords from a variable that is updated in message cycleSnap mouse to the middle of the screenSubtract screen center coordinates from previously retrieved ones

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement