Sign in to follow this  
Carbon_PhD

C#/DX9 curve drawing problem/opinion

Hi all, This is my first post so apologies if i dont quite have the programmers lingo. I have been learning C# for a month now (originally a VB user and very basic at that). My programming skills are quite limited so here goes... Program: In my directx space I deposit loads of line segments onto a floor as shown in the images. The lines are drawn via the end points and intersection points between segments are stored. Problem: Each segment is deposited one after the other but at crossover points I want to offset the z value and draw a curve through the points. Eventually after a lot of segments have been deposited I will have made a 3D fibrous material (a bit like loft insulation :0). Curve Drawing: So essentially I want to pass a line through the crossover points using a curve drawing function. I am using DirectX with C# and have researched and found this D3DXVec3CatmullRom function used however I cant seem to access it on my program. Material on this is quite dated so I wanted peoples opinion on whether this is the only option. Requirements: I actually need to capture the XYZ coordinates of each segment along intervals of each line. The reason for this is I need to export the data to a finite element package. I also need a compressing function to force the line segments into a given volume space but ensure the lines do not intersect. But this maybe to ambitious for the time being. Thanks in advance.

Generally in D3D curves are approximated as a sequence of short straight lines. The shorter they are the better the curves will look.

A fairly simple method for curve drawing is to use a bezier curve which is defined by four control points, with a simple formula to find the coordinate of any point along the line. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zier_curve or http://www.math.ucla.edu/~baker/java/hoefer/Bezier.htm for details.

You don't need to actually use D3DXVec3CatmullRom, the documentation gives you all of the information needed to implement it yourself. D3DXVec3Hermite is also available, which is a different type of interpolation.

With any type of spline interpolation you're going to provide control points and a distance along the curve, and you'll get a position as output. Basically what you'll do is calculate discrete positions at N points along the curve and create straight line segments between those positions. The more points you use, the better it will look.

Thanks Adam but I was looking for more control and need the spline to pass through the points not approximate close to them.

Looks like the catmull-rom or hermite is the right way to go. I was just hoping to be able to use the function itself as opposed to coding it myself but I will give it a go Matt thanks.