Researching game design for English 101

Started by
6 comments, last by kingpinzs 14 years ago
I am writing a paper for my English class on game deigning. My instructor asked me to interview people for and since I don’t know any one that designs games I figured I would just post questions on game design and see what people think. 1) To summarize a good design what should it at least include? Example. A goal, lots of NPC's, great AI, A good story line or just good puzzles 2) What would be the top 5 best designed games of all time and why? Example. Game play, AI, graphics 3) What would be the top 5 worst games and why? 4) If someone was just starting out in game design what would be the 5 most important aspects someone should know? 5) Just include anything that you might think that would be important in game design. Example. Game document, concept art, detailed story line, Thanks ahead of time. If you would prefer to PM then that would be fine also. Thanks again
Advertisement
Your Majesty,
1. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm
2. I'll name two oldies. Q*bert for its gradual layering of complexity. Tetris for its ability to convince the player that he can get a better score next time he plays.
3. I'll name one classic oldy. E.T. for the Atari 2600. The game was rushed -- designed and programmed in one month. The gameplay was incomprehensible (it could not be understood without reading the instruction manual) and not fun.
4.1. That game design is not the same thing as game development.
4.2. That the title Game Designer is not granted to raw graduates or novices to the game industry (that it takes years in the industry to get the title).
4.3. That a game designer has to be a collaborator, not a dictator.
4.4. That most projects a game designer will work on are not going to be his own original ideas.
4.5. That a game design degree is not required in order to become a game designer.
5. It's important that an aspiring game designer know how to ask good questions in order to get good answers.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Mr. Sloper.

Quote:
game design is not the same thing as game development

If I understand what you said correctly.
Game design is drawing out every aspect of the game on paper or computer but without coding it, and game development is not necessarily programming the game but putting it together and for making sure everything flows and goes along with the game design somewhat.

Quote:
It's important that an aspiring game designer know how to ask good questions in order to get good answers.

How would one learn how to ask good questions?

Do you think that the genres are an important aspect of deigning a game, or can you design games without really thinking about the genre?
Quote:Original post by kingpinzs
1. How would one learn how to ask good questions?
2. Do you think that the genres are an important aspect of deigning a game, or can you design games without really thinking about the genre?

1. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm
2. A designer should be familiar with the language of games. All rules were meant to be broken, except this one. You have to understand the rules so you can break them properly.

Thanks again Mr. Sloper

By the way, my user name is close to my real name.

In addition, I am going to read all your FAQ's closer because they seem to be well written and have good information in them.

It's clear now that I need to do a lot more research then I previously thought.

Is it ok that I quote you in my essay?
Quote:Original post by kingpinzs
Is it ok that I quote you in my essay?

Of course.

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
4.5. That a game design degree is not required in order to become a game designer.

That's not to say that a game design degree isn't a good thing to have.
In a black-and-white world, everything is either "the best thing ever" or "the worst thing ever." Everything in a black-and-white world is either "absolutely required" or "totally useless."
This world is not black and white.

Thanks again Mr. Sloper you have helped a great deal and now I know what direction I need to go to get what I want done

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement