i've managed to develop an algorithm that speeds up ray tracing by up to 3 times!

Started by
13 comments, last by irreversible 14 years ago
I've been reliably informed that rendering speed increases if you cast fireballs instead of rays. You need to really get into it though - stand in front of your computer, do the appropriate hand wriggles, and shout 'FIREBALL!' The more passion and energy you put into it, the faster your rendering will become.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Actually, this IS possible if you run your scene data through that MP3-beating compression algorithm that was posted awhile back, before you trace it.
I know, I was skeptical too, but then I tried it, and since then I've been raytracing 1080p in realtime on the CPU, no GPU interaction needed! This enabled me to offload all my physics and AI calculations to the AI. You won't believe how much your game's realism will benefit from having a whole (shader) core per AI!
Quote:Original post by superpig
I've been reliably informed that rendering speed increases if you cast fireballs instead of rays. You need to really get into it though - stand in front of your computer, do the appropriate hand wriggles, and shout 'FIREBALL!' The more passion and energy you put into it, the faster your rendering will become.

HA-DOU-KEN!!!!!
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Quote:Original post by Ysaneya
Easy. Don't cast rays. Cast teapots. It's much faster.

You know, in Soviet Russia, rays and teapots cast YOU!
Quote:Original post by Lode
Quote:Original post by Ysaneya
Easy. Don't cast rays. Cast teapots. It's much faster.

You know, in Soviet Russia, rays and teapots cast YOU!

There is no Soviet Russia any more, sillypants.

In any case - Soviet raytracers cast vodka bottles and use the cyrillic refractive model.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement