Were to Start

Started by
8 comments, last by Daerax 14 years ago
Hey, Well I was just searching the forums found a lot of useful things but not everything I wanted. I want to start a RPG game and I know you have to take babysteps so here what I want to know. 1. Good books to learn C++? 2. What programs would I need to create an RPG like the engine? 3. Some good tutorials I should read? Thats practically it but if theres anything else you recommend me doing please say.
Advertisement
1. I've been happy with "C++ Primer Plus" and "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming". They'll give you plenty to learn.

2. A compiler, like Microsoft Visual C++ or Bloodshed's Dev C++ are what you need to make a program, from a calculator to an RPG. You'll also need a thorough grounding in C++, if that's the language you're set on using.

3. There are a few tutorials that I've seen, but start with the books. Once you have at least a working knowledge of C++, you'll be able to understand the things that you're seeing in tutorials, as well as be able to identify sloppy code and keep from learning bad habits.

Good luck, but be warned that your goal is a lofty one and it'll take a lot of work just to learn enough to be able to start the project. And get used to the idea of making crummy, boring programs for a while; an RPG is a poor early project. But if you stick with it, you might really enjoy it!

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

C++ takes a lot of time to learn, it's an esoteric and difficult language. If you are willing to put in the time to learn the language before starting to write games, I think that it's a worthwhile experience, however if you would like to jump right in and learn how to write games, there are better choices.

Try Python with Pygame. It's simple, powerful, and will serve you well. And you'll have your first graphical game going in a week (and understand every line of code of it) rather than in two months.

Remember, in the same sense that a carpenter's doesn't learn how to use a hammer, but rather to learn how to build a house, you will be learning how to think like a programmer, and how to make games - things like how to use C++ or Python or whatever are secondary.

Python can be found here: http://python.org/

Pygame can be found here: http://pygame.org/

Tutorials are here: http://www.pygame.org/wiki/tutorials

Another choice would be PLT-Scheme (or PLT-Racket as it's now called). With no programming experience, it's probably easier to learn, but I have no idea how writing a game in it would work (although you can undoubtedly do it).
Apart from what Khaiy and ramsta (god he posted so quick) said, i just wanna add that your first aim should be like doing c++ like u r going to be a PhD in it.. its not because that this language is used a lot, not because of its object orientated nature, but because the more u practice with c++, or any language for that matter, the better ur problem solving techniques will grow..

forget about the words like engine, likewise.. start with a basic game in which a player has to move from one end to the other.. when u start from this, scratch, you'll automatically come to know how an engine is made n what u r looking for..

u'l also have to decide which library u'd b using for making games..
Figured I could throw in my 2 cents here, Yes, do not start with C++, that is rather a lofty goal as well for your first game. C++ Just seems to cause issues for begginiers if that is your first langauge, from what I have read/heard, but don't totally take my word for it im no expert.

I will agree with starting with Python as that is what I am doing, some great tutorials as well are

http://www.sthurlow.com/python/

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

Another advice that no one seems to heed is once you get some programming under your belt with Python, Don't jump straight into Pygame, but rather try some txt based games first. I've learned in my experiance so far it is easier and you will benifiet more from that then jumping straight into Pygame, but that is just my opnion.
Goodluck =)
Kk well thanks for the help. I'm going with Python for now and I will start off with small games before using Pygame.
I wish you success!

Start small, write lots of code and post your code often for advice and criticism.

Also don't think of Python as in some way a lesser language than C++ - real games do use it. For example, both the client and server of the MMORPG EVE Online were written in Python.
Start at the beginning. Use a powerfully expressive language. Like python. Want to make an RPG? Make character stats roller, the battle engine and conversation system first. Text. In about that order. Then add graphics.
What about Java? Would it be harder to create a Broswer Based MMO then using C++ instead? The reason I ask is that what about people who get slow internet connections like in Dubai. Time and Patience doesn't bug me but is it possible with a small team of professionals/amateurs or even solo?
I would not recommend Java over Python. Browser Based MMO? That is not starting at the beginning. Connections in Dubai? This is like deciding to become an evil overlord and worrying about what you will have your peasants chant at 4pm on Tuesdays before you have even gotten out of bed!

But if you must make a browser based MMO, another excellent language, I recommend over Java is &#106avascript (no relations to Java). By the time you are done - 5 to 10 yrs say - HTML5 and WebGL should be entrenched.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement