• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jameslys

Winsock2 multiple threads multiple UDP sockets

This topic is 3028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I know that whether i can use multiple threads to send data through multiple udp sockets to the far side? I mean each threads has its own udp socket and independent from each others. In the receiving site, is it possible to use multiple threads to receive data from multiple udp sockets with each threads handles one independent udp socket? I am using winsock2.

Advertisement
as I am doing the multiple video streaming. A pair of udp sockets form the transmission link for 1 stream.

If the source machine and destination machine is the same, what are you attempting to gain by using multiple sockets? There is only a single network card, and a single network wire, between the two machines.

In general, though, yes, you can use different sockets from different threads. One thread per request generally scales poorly, though, when you get into thousands or tens of thousands of connections.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!