Polygon count in modern games?

Started by
12 comments, last by InvalidPointer 14 years ago
Quote:Original post by Waaayoff
I realize that you can't give me a precise number but a range on average would be nice.

I would like to know the ranges for these kind of games:

FPS - Such as Call of duty 6
RTS - Such as Age of Empires

As for MMORPGs, how many polygons if the game focuses on graphics such as Age of Conan, and if it focuses on gameplay, such as Darkfall which promises that it can handle battles with 200+ players

I'd like to point out that Age of Empires never used polygons at all. It's all blitting/sprites.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by PrestoChung
eh the old blocky look is good imo:) state of the art graphics have entered an 'uncanny valley' of sorts.
The two have little to do with each other.

A properly done model has to have a proper edge flow so it bends and deforms properly. It has nothing to do with attempted realism. A cartoon style model needs the same considerations.

Quote:Original post by InvalidPointer
Quote:Original post by Waaayoff
I realize that you can't give me a precise number but a range on average would be nice.

I would like to know the ranges for these kind of games:

FPS - Such as Call of duty 6
RTS - Such as Age of Empires

As for MMORPGs, how many polygons if the game focuses on graphics such as Age of Conan, and if it focuses on gameplay, such as Darkfall which promises that it can handle battles with 200+ players

I'd like to point out that Age of Empires never used polygons at all. It's all blitting/sprites.

I think he's referring to Age of Empires 3, since CoD 6 is a recent game. If that's the case, the game does have polygons, and there's an option to switch between low poly and high poly models.

As for polygon count, I'd expect that both CoD6 and AoE have less than a million polygons on screen at any time.

In CoD, you have the player model about 4 ally models, and up to about 15 enemies, each of which with ~20K polys. With them alone, that's 400K polys. Then you have buildings, scenery and, which probably aren't as detailed as the players - so they'll probably take up around 200K polys. Even with another 100K for weaponry models and vehicles, that's still only 700K, and then on top of that there's scene management, which reduces the visible poly count.

For Age of Empires III, battles usually take place with up to 200 units visible on the screen. We'll say each of these units has about 500 polys, since they're very small when viewed by the player. That's 100K on units. then you have the terrain, which is quite detailed in AoE 3, but still likely under 10K polys visible. Buildings and other static meshes are likely another 10K at any one time. So that's only 120K by my estimate.

As for the two MMOs, I've never played them, so I can't really say :)
Oh, derp, you're right. Apparently I've expunged most memories of AoE III (and AoM, now that I think about it) from my brain. AoE II spoiled me so much!

I think one of the Relic technical guys stops by on GDNet every so often if you want to ask about model info for Dawn of War or Company of Heroes.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement