Free Source Control?

Started by
8 comments, last by phresnel 14 years ago
Hello all, This probably isn't the ideal forum for my question, but I couldn't honestly figure out a better place to put it. Here's the gist: I'm looking for a good source control option to share files accross the internet for a project. Ideally it would be free, but I could probably manage a small fee per month. I have used XP-dev with Subversion a bit, but I'm not a huge fan of their interface and I believe there is a 1 GB limit on the depot for the free package. Does anybody have any reccomendations for a better provider? Thanks much for any input!
Advertisement
Hello,

i use this. It's free.

http://www.origo.ethz.ch/

--GWDev
Google Code is pretty darn good, and has an option to use Mercurial rather than SVN (which is a big plus for me).

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Git Hub
Quote:Original post by KulSeran
Git Hub

++

Or gitorious.
I've just started using TortoiseHG (a Windows Explorer plugin for Mercurial). It seems decent so far. I had a recent thread about it here.
You can use Tortoise SVN and VisualSVNServer for free. However this requires running a "server" at all times and centralisation.
If you want to work with a bunch of different people all over the place it might be easier to look at git or mercurial.

A windows front-end to either git or mercurial (as mentioned just above) is probably your best bet. Just take the time out to understand how it operates because it is fundamentally different to SVN.
I'm using Mercurial at work (for single user backup) but I'm about to try Bazaar. It's a distributed VC but it can be setup to be used as a centralized VC as well.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I'm using Unfuddle (free svn server)

http://unfuddle.com/

There's a free plan, but it's quite limited in data space. The cheapest pay plan has about 512mb data space... anyways, take a look :)
votes for GitHub and gitorious, both are quite performant and I never had problems at least with gitorious (my experience with GitHub is low, I have only an account there to watch other projects and report bugs).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement