Class weapons in The World, naming help needed, sorry for the third post.

Started by
10 comments, last by JoeCooper 14 years ago
As I said in the title, I am sorry that this is my third thread about the same base topic. I have ideas on what kind of weapons I would include, but I am stuck on naming ideas. I am including twin blades, broad swords, scythes, and staves. I need some ideas for names or some insperation for names. If anyone can understand my problem, please help. Note: for more information about this game, go the the thread The World Repost.
scientists explain the world with numbers, artists explain the world with images, programmers explain the world with games.
Advertisement
Maybe, the legendary Sword of Bob? What exactly is it that you need? List of weapon types can be found in wikipedia. As far as naming things, well you can name things whatever you want.
my problem is insperation. my game is based in a timeline cross between magic and steam technology. I have not been able to find insperation for names of weapons, or for that matter, many things such as NPCs, monsters, etc...
This is where I need help.
scientists explain the world with numbers, artists explain the world with images, programmers explain the world with games.
Machines (a gun, for instance, or a tank) are typically named after their creators, or the owner of the company that produces them, hence the Lee Einfield, M1A1 Abrams, or the Colt 45. In the case of the colt, the caliber is also included, but in weapons like the Kalashnikov, the year is used to indicate which specific model. So if you're doing steam weaponry, I'd suggest using a context-appropriate name and context-appropriate year to name weapons. A random number for caliber or equivalent can do you just as well.

For melee weapons, you have two choices. It seems like it would yield more immersion to go with option A) and give a custom name to scythes, katana, ect but in all actuality users are generally attached to things like curved-blade = katana, long blade = bastard sword or whatnot and unique names are ignored, forgotten, and/or sources of confusion. You're much better going with option B) - that is - sticking to the names of the weapon you're actually modeling.

A quick wikipedia search for melee weapons will yield a host of weapons choices for you. Find the nearest approximation to the image of the weapon you have in mind and you're set.
Looking at your other posts I don't see you making a game per se, if anything.

But I'd be happy to chat about weapons and naming conventions and steam. I researched some of this stuff on a lark recently. Sent a chat invite to your Yahoo account because I hate forums.

One thing though. Good names clearly communicate. Look at all the armor names in Final Fantasy VII. We have a lot of things like "Iron Bangle", "Mythril Bangle", "Titanium Bangle".

That's a type of armor, and titanium is strong right? So its a stronger type of armor.

I think the names of items and things in Zelda are great. What's the master of all swords called? The Master Sword. What about those three triangles? Tri-force.

From the name tri-force I can gather that it involves three forces.

The United States of America are united states in North America.

Bob's Glass Factory is... You get the idea.

If nothing else, clear communication and usefulness always trumps random syllables thrown together with apostrophes sprinkled in, or fake symbolism ("By the nine!!!!")

[Edited by - JoeCooper on April 1, 2010 7:14:24 PM]
I didn't sign up with a yahoo account. I signed up with a google account. My email is firebug98@gmail.com. try resending the invite to this email. BTW, thank you for all of the help. I'm starting to get some ideas. But if you have any ideas, please post.
Actually when you get past Mythril you get to the point where most players expect most things to be stronger than stuff before it, rather than stronger after it(doesn't get "better" after that point, just start to see trade offs). For instance Mythril does better against "magic" than titanium.

It's also worth noting that the chances of someone ever making a weapon out of bronze when you have "other" metals is very slim(unless there is a tactical reason to use bronze, better magic defense than other low-end metals).

[Edited by - lithos on April 3, 2010 8:03:36 PM]
twin blades-the tears of aion
Sounds like the only problem you have is writer's block.
Quote:Original post by Zouflain
Machines (a gun, for instance, or a tank) are typically named after their creators, or the owner of the company that produces them, hence the Lee Einfield, M1A1 Abrams, or the Colt 45. In the case of the colt, the caliber is also included, but in weapons like the Kalashnikov, the year is used to indicate which specific model.

M1A1 Abrams is named after a US General, who as far as I can tell had little direct involvement in the development. And the "M1" is just a military designation number, something that didn't really come around til about the early 1900s, and wasn't popular till the 30s-50s.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement