Iterative division

Started by
7 comments, last by alvaro 14 years ago
I need to find a method of finding out how many times a given floating point number n can be divided in half before n becomes less than 1.0 . Simply dividing in half repeatedly and incrementing a counter each time is too slow, and I need this to be as fast as possible.
Advertisement
Awesome. That's exactly what I'm looking for. While I'm here, is there any fast method for me to determine the final value of n after the last divide?
Problem:

Solve for x:

Therefore:
int x = static_cast<int>( ceil( log(n)/log(2) ) );

or

int x = static_cast<int>( log(n)/log(2) ) + 1;

To find the resulting value:
float q = n / pow(2,x);

or

float q = n / (1 << x);

EDIT:
My original post disappeared mysteriously, so I'm putting it here.

[Edited by - _fastcall on April 1, 2010 7:31:39 PM]
...I don't know what I was thinking on that one. That one should have been obvious. Thanks, you've helped a lot.
I'm not the most proficient coder ever, but isn't cieling something that you've already turned into an int rather redundant? Int automatically floors any floating point value it's assigned to, so adding one seems a lot faster than the overhead for any other function.

int(2.203838)+1 = (2) + 1 = 3
ceil(2.203838) = (3) = 3 with overhead.
What if the number you pass to ceil is a whole number?
Eh, and that sort of thing is why I'm not the most proficient coder. Yeah, working around that would cost more overhead so far as I can see than just using the ceil. My mistake.
No harm, no foul.
If you really need to do this fast, the floating-point types already have this information neatly encoded in the `exponent' field, so with a bit of wizardry you could read the floating-point number as an integer and extract the exponent part. You may have to fight your optimizer for the evil casts to work, though. Also, your portability will seriously suffer from something like this.

int l2(float f) {  int i = *reinterpret_cast<unsigned *>(&f);  return (i>>23)-126;}

[Edited by - alvaro on April 2, 2010 11:33:17 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement