Sign in to follow this  
freeworld

function pointers to non static member functions

I just recently started using function pointers, and now I've run into a road block. I've got a variable outside of a class that stores function pointers. but I want to include a pointer to a member function. The easiest option ofcourse is making the function static, but what if I come across a situation where I can't make it static but really want to use function pointers. Are there was around this?

Google gave me this:

Taken from : Link

[33.2] How do I pass a pointer-to-member-function to a signal handler, X event callback, system call that starts a thread/task, etc?

Don't.

Because a member function is meaningless without an object to invoke it on, you can't do this directly (if The X Window System was rewritten in C++, it would probably pass references to objects around, not just pointers to functions; naturally the objects would embody the required function and probably a whole lot more).

As a patch for existing software, use a top-level (non-member) function as a wrapper which takes an object obtained through some other technique. Depending on the routine you're calling, this "other technique" might be trivial or might require a little work on your part. The system call that starts a thread, for example, might require you to pass a function pointer along with a void*, so you can pass the object pointer in the void*. Many real-time operating systems do something similar for the function that starts a new task. Worst case you could store the object pointer in a global variable; this might be required for Unix signal handlers (but globals are, in general, undesired). In any case, the top-level function would call the desired member function on the object.

Here's an example of the worst case (using a global). Suppose you want to call Fred::memberFn() on interrupt:

class Fred {
public:
void memberFn();
static void staticMemberFn(); // A static member function can usually handle it
};

// Wrapper function uses a global to remember the object:
Fred* object_which_will_handle_signal;

void Fred_memberFn_wrapper()
{
object_which_will_handle_signal->memberFn();
}

int main()
{
/* signal(SIGINT, Fred::memberFn); */ // Can NOT do this
signal(SIGINT, Fred_memberFn_wrapper); // OK
signal(SIGINT, Fred::staticMemberFn); // OK usually; see below
}

Note: static member functions do not require an actual object to be invoked, so pointers-to-static-member-functions are usually type-compatible with regular pointers-to-functions. However, although it probably works on most compilers, it actually would have to be an extern "C" non-member function to be correct, since "C linkage" doesn't only cover things like name mangling, but also calling conventions, which might be different between C and C++.

Don't forget to rate :)

You could use functors instead of raw function pointers, this allows some more flexibility. For instance, with functors, you can extend functionality using polymorphism:

class Signal {
public:
virtual ~Signal() {
}

virtual void operator() () = 0;
};

class FunctionWrapper : public Signal {
private:
typedef void (*FunctionPointer)();

public:
FunctionWrapper( FunctionPointer ptr )
: mFunction( ptr ) {
}

void operator() () {
(*mFunction)();
}

private:
FunctionPointer mFunction;
};

template<class Type, class BaseType>
class BoundSignal: public Signal {
private:
typedef void (Type::*FunctionPointer)();

public:
MemberSignal( Type& obj, FunctionPointer p ) :
mTargetFunction( p ),
mTargetObject( obj )
{
}

void operator() () {
(obj.*mTargetFunction)();
}

private:
FunctionPointer mTargetFunction;
Type& mTargetObject;
};

//
// Sample:
//

class Person {
public:
Person( const string& name )
: mName( name ) {
}

void speak() {
cout << "Hello, my name is " << mName << endl;
}

private:
string mName;
};

Person Fred( "Fred" );

void sayHi() {
cout << "Hi!" << endl;
}

map<string, Signal*> theMap;
theMap["sayHi"] = new FunctionWrapper( sayHi );
theMap["abc"] = new BoundSignal<Person>( Fred, &Person::speak );

(*theMap["sayHi"])(); // "Hello, my name is Fred"
(*theMap["abc"])(); // "Hi!"

// pseudo code:
// for_each( theMap.begin(), theMap.end(), delete );

* Not tested

Alternatively, you can use boost::function in conjunction with boost::bind, or boost::signals.