lParam Keyboard Hook

Started by
3 comments, last by Buttacup 14 years ago
A few months ago I set up my keyboard input and I noticed I wasn't getting an repeat count in my lParam of my keyboard hook. Looking at it again it's still an issue! Is there a known reason why or is my ugly code(I swear I did a number of different tests using a variety of code to make sure it wasn't my ugly code) just that ugly? I guess I could increment the count myself in the injection call....

byte* ptr = (byte*)&vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam;
    memcpy(&BufferedKeyStroke.repCount, &ptr, 2);ptr++;ptr++;
    BufferedKeyStroke.scanCode = (char)*ptr++;
    BufferedKeyStroke.keyState = (char)*ptr;

yup :P
-------------------------------------All my life all I ever wanted to be was, Gangsta!
Advertisement
Is all that pointer arithmetic necessary?

With this

you can use array syntax [] to access the bytes of the lParam

ptr[0]
ptr[1]
ptr[2]
ptr[3]

Do you need to take the address of ptr here?

memcpy(&BufferedKeyStroke.repCount, &ptr, 2)

Try this

memcpy(&BufferedKeyStroke.repCount, ptr, 2);
BufferedKeyStroke.scanCode = (char)ptr[2];
BufferedKeyStroke.keyState = (char)ptr[3];

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Yes, no it wasn't necessary pointer arithmetic and referencing by [n] does look a lot cleaner. It doesn't however make a change to the counting of repetitions for me, it still reads 0? Do you get a count? I guess knowing that someone else does have one would tell me to keep looking.

Weird looking at code I did four months ago, I barely even knew what that did then!

Thx
-------------------------------------All my life all I ever wanted to be was, Gangsta!
I don't have your keyboard hook so I couldn't get a count if I wanted to. I just figured that an lParam was a long integer made of four bytes and worked from there.

Try dumping vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam to output to see what you get.

Also note that if repCount is a short integer and lParam is a long integer where the first 16 bits hold the value for repCount, then you can shift bits in lParam to gain access.

BufferedKeyStroke.repCount = (short)(vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam >> 16);

Moreover, you can use a bitwise mask with a shift to isolate the other bytes of lParam.

BufferedKeyStroke.scanCode = (char)((vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam & 0x0000FF00) >> 8);

BufferedKeyStroke.keyState = (char)(vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam & 0x000000FF);

And to simplify and possibly reduce some access overhead, you can use a temp variable to hold lParam.

unsigned long temp = vHookedKeyboard.at(i).lParam;
BufferedKeyStroke.repCount = (short)((temp & 0xFFFF0000) >> 16);
BufferedKeyStroke.scanCode = (char)((temp & 0x0000FF00) >> 8);
BufferedKeyStroke.keyState = (char)(temp & 0x000000FF);

Of course, none of that will matter if lParam is garbage to start with.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I am most definitely taking notes.... but as you say none of that will matter if lParam is garbage to start with! So the question still remains does windows actually send the rep count because all other information is being received intact.

Thx for the heads up LessBread!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement