[.net] MouseUp event triggered on titlebar doubleclick

Started by
19 comments, last by Headkaze 14 years ago
Quote:Original post by Headkaze
I didn't read any explaination or way around it.

Quote:
Whenever you want to not handle an event because of it's spurious origin, simply detect this case in the event handler and set e.Handled to true in the EventArgs.

See the previous posts in this thread.

Quote:Original post by ernow
The only solution I see is by subscribing to the SizeChanged event and checking there whether the form got maximized (WindowState). If so, set a bool and check for the bool in the mouseup, resetting it when it was set. That way you ignore the MouseUp from the resize.

So what he said was detect when the undesired behavior, as shown by ernow. And set e.Handled to true and return from your mouseup handler.

In his post before this he asks if it's "by design" and that it "can't be the desired behavior" and "is extremely problematic.".

Quote:
You're seeing this because double clicking the Window's title bar results in maximizing the window. So, while your double click is still "in progress", the canvas expands to be underneath the mouse cursor but the mouse button is still held down.

It seems very logical to me that the mouse up event fires, even if it is inconvient. A click has occured, which means the mouse button did go down. So it doesn't seem like a strench to expect a mouse up event to occur. In fact, if anything I'm more surprised by the lack of the mouse down event.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Advertisement
As a sidenote: the e.Handled is something from WPF not from WinForms.
Let's face it, it's a bug. Thanks for the example ernow.

What on earth are you talking about? It's completely expected behavior. Since the cursor is placed in the appropriate area to fire the event area before you release the mouse, it fires the event.

Just because it's inconvenient for you, doesn't mean it's a bug.
This comes from the current frameworks and languages have abstracted what is going on under the hood so much that people don't really understand the way things work.

I think everyone should do a windows API app just once so they can see the way Window's messaging works.

theTroll
I have written Win32 API applications in C++ before, this is not the point. Expected behavour doesn't mean it makes sense. I call it a bug because you are double clicking to maximise a window. That should be considered one event; a resize event.

Quote:Original post by Flimflam
Just because it's inconvenient for you, doesn't mean it's a bug.

Just because Microsoft say it's right doesn't make it right. I've found bugs in Windows before so it's not the first nor will it be the last. What is the purpose of a double click to maximize also generating a MouseUp event? What could you possibly use that for? Obviously it's pointless and a PITA to have to work around it.
Actually it is not about "generating" the event, it is about who is consuming the event.

Every time the mouse is released a "mouseUp" event is triggered, that is core to the system. The issue is who is handling that event.

On the maximize, the title bar is receiving and consuming the "double click". That makes perfect since. But the mouse has not come up yet and there is no reason for the title bar to consume the up event because it doesn't care, because the mouse is no longer in the title bar area.

Do you really think it would be a good idea for the title bar to be able to consume mouse events when the mouse is not in the title bar?

theTroll
Just because Microsoft say it's right doesn't make it right.

Since .NET is a Microsoft product, it really is up to them what is right and what isn't.

If you don't want to deal with how the product works, then you have a couple of options.

If you feel it really is a bug (which most of the evidence says it isn't), then go to Microsoft's website and write up a ticket on it. I've written up tickets on MSVC before, and they usually response quickly. If it is desired behavior, they will usually respond back with that as an answer, otherwise they will acknowledge it as a bug and look into a fix.

Otherwise, I'd suggest looking for a similar product or just use the Win32 API.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Surely it's just because the doubleclick happens on a mousedown event so you get all the garbage below.

And because the mouse up event can happen at any time, even a hour after you double click if you so inclined I'm not even sure how this could be fixed, because you could keep the mouse down, move to another window, right click and let the left mouse up, I can only image the overall crayness that could happen. So errno's solution seems the best route.

msg=0xa3 (WM_NCLBUTTONDBLCLK) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x2 lparam=0xc4014d result=0x0msg=0x112 (WM_SYSCOMMAND) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0xf032 lparam=0xc4014d result=0x0msg=0x24 (WM_GETMINMAXINFO) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x3c6dba8 result=0x0msg=0xd (WM_GETTEXT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0xff lparam=0x3c6d38c result=0x0msg=0x46 (WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x3c6dbb4 result=0x0msg=0x24 (WM_GETMINMAXINFO) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x3c6d404 result=0x0msg=0x83 (WM_NCCALCSIZE) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1 lparam=0x3c6db88 result=0x0msg=0x85 (WM_NCPAINT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0xffffffff97041658 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0x14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x3b012b27 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xae hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1001 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xae hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1001 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xae hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1001 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xe (WM_GETTEXTLENGTH) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xd (WM_GETTEXT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x6 lparam=0x1ee2f8 result=0x0msg=0x47 (WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x3c6dbb4 result=0x0msg=0x3 (WM_MOVE) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x1a0000 result=0x0msg=0xe (WM_GETTEXTLENGTH) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xd (WM_GETTEXT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x6 lparam=0x1ee318 result=0x0msg=0x5 (WM_SIZE) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x2 lparam=0x4780780 result=0x0msg=0x83 (WM_NCCALCSIZE) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1 lparam=0x3c6d7e4 result=0x0msg=0x85 (WM_NCPAINT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x3d04391b lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0x14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x1b012d50 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xe (WM_GETTEXTLENGTH) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0x0 result=0x0msg=0xd (WM_GETTEXT) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x6 lparam=0x1ee2f8 result=0x0msg=0x84 (WM_NCHITTEST) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0xc4014d result=0x0msg=0x84 (WM_NCHITTEST) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0xc4014d result=0x0msg=0x20 (WM_SETCURSOR) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x111a9a lparam=0x2020001 result=0x0msg=0x202 (WM_LBUTTONUP) hwnd=0x111a9a wparam=0x0 lparam=0xaa014d result=0x0

Niksan2: I agree this whole problem stems from the doubleclick event occuring on MouseDown. If it was triggered on the final MouseUp this would not be a problem. So the question then is why.

Rattrap: If they haven't changed this by now I doubt MS will consider it a bug at all. Bug is probably not the correct word.. I'd say "irritating behaviour" would suffice but there are plenty of them. Every OS has them, so I don't think I'll be "changing products" because of it.

TheTroll: Why shouldn't it consume the final MouseUp event? It consumes the rest of the doubleclick mouse events, so why not the final one? The bottom line is a doubleclick event should occur on the final MouseUp.
TheTroll: Why shouldn't it consume the final MouseUp event? It consumes the rest of the doubleclick mouse events, so why not the final one? The bottom line is a doubleclick event should occur on the final MouseUp.

Why should a double-click be fired? The title bar is being double-clicked, not the form. There would be no double-click event fired.

However, the form is receiving a MouseUp because you're releasing the mouse in its region.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement