Orbit Camera

Started by
1 comment, last by Vincent_M 14 years ago
I have written Orbit Camera's in the past; and I decided to use .NET; I used the standard Math for finding a 3D position from Spherical Cordinates of Rho, Phi, Theta (Distance from Object, X Angle of Ascension, Y Angle of Declination) and I am ending up with Figure 8 results. Not exactly sure why. I haven't done this in a while so could you please tell me what is wrong with this code? or Does anyone have an available Object Orbit library. Basically all I am doing is taking the Position of 2 objects, one is a camera, computing the distance from the origins; and then discovering the X,Y angles in degrees (then converted to radians) and using the following to compute the new 3D vector.
[Source]

Public Function CartesianFromSpherical(ByVal Rho As Single, ByVal Phi As Single, ByVal Theta As Single) As Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3
   ' Rho = Distance From Target
   ' Phi = Angle of Ascension 
   ' Theta = Angle of Declination
   Return New Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3(Rho * Math.Sin(Phi) * Math.Cos(Theta), Rho * Math.Sin(Phi) * Math.Sin(Theta), Rho * Math.Cos(Phi))
End Function

[/Source]
What did I forget? [Edited by - Evolution_Arts on April 3, 2010 2:55:57 PM]
Matthew F. EganFounding Member - Evolution Arts, LLC
Advertisement
could you post what the results are when you run it, and why you think they aren't the right results?

A quick glance makes me think that you've got your sines and cosines just fine. Maybe you're using your thetas and phis and such backwards?
It looks like you are multiplying your sin and cos per parameter. Sine and cosine are ratios (components) of a normalized vector on the unit circle when they are both given the same angle. Cosine is the x-component, and sine is the y-component. In order to get your camera to orbit around the object on a horizontal plane, you do this:

[SOURCE]Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3(Rho * Math.Cos(Theta), 0.0D, Rho * Math.Cos(Theta))[/SOURCE]

I haven't ever gotten a camera to orbit around my camera as if attached to a sphere, but here is what I would try:
[SOURCE]Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3(Rho * Math.Sin(Phi) * Math.Cos(Theta), Rho * Math.Sin(Phi) * Math.Sin(Theta), Rho * Math.Cos(Theta) * Math.Cos(Phi))[/SOURCE]

That last one might work, but I'm not sure...

BTW: I can't find the code tag button, so I can't post my code in it! Sorry for the inconvenience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement