Sign in to follow this  

[D3D9] LPD3DXEFFECT trouble, simple access results in crash [SOLVED]

This topic is 2813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a structure for my shaders:
class Shader
{
	private:
		bool CreateFromString ( IDirect3DDevice9 *device, std::string shader_code );

public:
		LPD3DXEFFECT effect; // pointer to an ID3DXEffect (using ID3DXEffect *effect doesn't make a diff BTW)

bool CreateFromFile ( IDirect3DDevice9 *device, std::string filename );
		bool CreateDefaultShader ( IDirect3DDevice9 *device );
		bool CreateNullShader ( IDirect3DDevice9 *device );
};

Take a look at the implementation of CreateFromFile:
bool Shader::CreateFromFile ( IDirect3DDevice9 *device, std::string filename )
// creates a shader from an external file
{
	ID3DXBuffer *error_buffer = NULL;

if ( FAILED ( D3DXCreateEffectFromFileA ( device, filename.c_str ( ), NULL, NULL, SHADER_COMPILE_FLAGS, NULL, &effect, &error_buffer ) ) )
	{
		std::stringstream s;
		s << "Failed to compile effect..." << std::endl << std::endl;
		s << "The following error(s) were encountered during compilation of '" << filename.c_str ( ) << "':" << std::endl << std::endl;
		s << ( const char *) error_buffer->GetBufferPointer ( ) << std::endl << std::endl;
		s << "Hit Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard, then paste it when you report this error...";
		Error ( s.str ( ) );
		return false;
	}

if ( !effect )
	{
		s << "Failed to create effect from file '" << filename.c_str ( ) << "'...";
		Error ( s.str ( ) );
		return false;
	}

if ( FAILED ( effect->SetTechnique ( "EntryPoint" ) ) )
	// select technique
	{
		s << "Failed to set technique for effect '" << filename.c_str ( ) << "'...";
		Error ( s.str ( ) );
		return false;
	}

return true;
}

Should be straight-forward. However, I discovered that the above function crashes whenever I even try to access the shader::effect member. The first call (to D3DXCreateEffectFromFileA) actually runs fine (doesn't FAIL or crash) but the line below (if ( !effect )) crashes. When I add even something like "effect = NULL;" as the first line in the function, it crashes there. I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this to be honest. What DOES work is when I define the effect member as a simple local variable in the function. This won't crash (but is obviously not what I'm looking for). Any ideas? [Edited by - d h k on April 3, 2010 7:59:14 PM]

What's the "crash" you're getting? The exception code and information should tell you some specifics of the problem.

Also if you're calling CreateFromFile on a pointer to a Shader, make sure that pointer is valid (and not NULL, or uninitialized).

Wow, yeah that was it. Really embarrassing mistake to make... :p I actually had a system for the user to create custom shaders defined in the engine but forgot I didn't have it implemented so my std::vector<Shader*> had invalid Shader instances in it which caused the "weird" behavior.

Thanks a ton, I think I'm slightly wiser now. :D

This topic is 2813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.