Sign in to follow this  

[web] Looking for a way to programmatically check if i have new email

This topic is 2812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I currently have a website, domain and email all hosted at godaddy.com. I am looking for a way to pogrammatically check if I have any new emails every few minutes using a script that sits on the webserver. Currently I am using POP3 to do this. When I tried to set up a PHP script I found out that GoDaddy disabled the fsockopen() function. After speaking with technical support, they told me they would not enable it for security reasons. So I moved to ASP.NET and C# and tried again, but now my C# code is throwing a SecurityException. I have 2 questions for you guys: 1) Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do? 2) It seems like GoDaddy won't support this type of code on their webservers, is there another hosting service out there that would be more likely to allow this code? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Original post by Maverick_24
2) It seems like GoDaddy won't support this type of code on their webservers, is there another hosting service out there that would be more likely to allow this code?

How much do you want to pay? I use RootBSD which gives me my own VM server with full root level admin control for about $400 a year. I can do whatever i want on that system outside of re-compiling and upgrading the kernel (since it's a VM). For probably double the price I could get a dedicated server with it's own static IP, and then really do whatever I want.

I'm pretty sure that on godaddy you can pay more as well for a dedicated server on which you should be able to do whatever you want.

-me

It seems like GoDaddy wont support this (and we cant really blame them) if I'm only paying for basic hosting. What I ended up doing for the time being is created a windows service that will run on my local PC every few minutes and use IMAP to check if new emails have come in thru GoDaddys IMAP server. Seems to be working fine. If I need a more robust solution I will most likely move the service to a dedicated virtual server. Thanks for the help.

This topic is 2812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.