New in games

Started by
7 comments, last by Andrew Russell 14 years ago
Hello: This is my first post. I am a painter and 3D artist (Max / Maya), and I want to do levels about my painting work... I want to do a "visitable" picture, how do I start? I Know this is a very difficult question, but I'm very excited with this project. My works are here: http://www.discoveredartists.com/gallery/nachofrades Is there a "level designer" for me? Thanks.
Advertisement
Essentially you want to create a virtual museum where people can view your art? Is that right?

By what method do you envision delivering this museum to people? They download and install a game? They just load up a web page and they're in it? Some other mechanism?

-me
They download the "game" and they are inside the works, it's not a museum with the paintings in the wall, they are inside, I will build-up some of the pictures in a level designer, but I have no idea how to do it.

I know how to do it perfect in Max or Maya, and animating a camera, but I want they "walk" inside the pictures...

Thanks for your reply :)
Hello Nacho, welcome to gamedev.net!

Take a look at Unity, which is a very nice visual tool that I believe suits perfectly to the kind of work you want to do. There's a free version available for download which will cover everything you'll need.

Cheers,

--Nacho
Many Thanks! i'm looking it and seems to be interesting, but I need more options... is unreal too big for me? I will use a minimal part of it...
Quote:Original post by nachofrades
Many Thanks! i'm looking it and seems to be interesting, but I need more options... is unreal too big for me? I will use a minimal part of it...

I don't have experience with Unreal myself but bare in mind that, unless you're aiming for a non-commercial project, you'll have to pay for a license.

Cheers,

--Nacho

The project is not commercial, I only want to walk in a scenary... I model the buildings and I paint the color and light, it's like a model of a scenary handpainted to walk for... nothing more...
Quote:Original post by nachofrades
The project is not commercial, I only want to walk in a scenary... I model the buildings and I paint the color and light, it's like a model of a scenary handpainted to walk for... nothing more...

I understand. Maybe you should download both and try them out to see which one fits you best.

Here's a thorough list of 3D and game engines. Check it out, maybe you'll you find something even more suitable for your project than Unity or UDK.

Cheers,

--Nacho

I'm not sure that list is the best thing to look at - there's a lot of technical detail to wade through.

I think you should simply try out Unity, Unreal/UDK - and perhaps Game Blender (if you have any experience with Blender). Those are the only options I can think of that you might get a good result out of without doing any programming.

(Great artwork, by the way.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement