How to implement a Camera???

Started by
17 comments, last by EEPROM 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi everybody. I would like to know how to implement a Camera into a 3D engine, so that you can look around instead of looking into a fixed direction. I was thinking that I should use 2 points for the camera. One vertex for the actual position of the camera, and one vector for the spot direction. Is that right? And how to I actually render the world from the camera''s perspective? Should I rotate the whole world in funtion of the cameras position/spot direction? "Simple is beautiful"
"Simple is beautiful"
Advertisement
you can either use direct3d or opengl for that. whichever one you choose has camera features.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
AFAIK, OpenGL does NOT have camera features. Granted, with gluLookAt() you can make a simple camera system, but OpenGL itself does not support any such feature. IMO, if your using OGL, just roll your own camera system to build a camera matrix from scratch, then load the matrix on to the matrix stack and multiply.
I don''t want to seem rude, but I give a shit for all this pre-coded 3D API''s. (OpenGL/Glide/Direct3D/etc.)

What I''m doing is to build a 3D engine in DirectDraw for me to learn how a 3D engine works. I want to know how things are calculated etc. And now I''m asking how I could implement a camera. What I want are some formulas, tutorials, etc...

Please, don''t mention any 3D API''s because using them is for people who allready know how a 3D engine works, or for those who just want to code a 3D engine without any deep knowledge. I plan to use them later to get beautiful graphics on high-resolution.

"Simple is beautiful"
"Simple is beautiful"
okay, gotcha. um, you need to perform what''s called a world to viewer coordinate transformation with a special matrix.

Here''s a link to info as to how this is performed:

http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/viewing/view3d/3dview1.htm

a2k

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
OK, thanks. That was exaclty what I am looking for. If you have some other URL''s about this topic I would apreciate it.

I like it to read 2 or 3 diferent tutorials about the same topic, because each author has a diferent point-of-view. So, reading 3 diferent opinions is the best way to make your own conclusions

"Simple is beautiful"
"Simple is beautiful"
Another URL?

Sure, look in the DirectX documentation : )

But hey, feel free to bitch about mentioning an API and not look at it.

G''luck,
-Alamar

OK, I''ve found 2 tutorials about camera calculations. One of them provided by a2k .

Both tutorials use a 3x3 Camera Matrix in the clculations. And this is my new question now. What is inside this 3x3 camera matrix?

I really don''t know what to put in there. I have the cameras position inside a vertex:
[X]
[Y]
[Z]

and I''m sure that I must put the cameras direction vector into this 3x3 Camera Matrix, but how???

[Vx,0,0]
[0,Vy,0]
[0,0,Vz]
?

Any idae?
"Simple is beautiful"
3x3 Matrix? Hmmmm, interesting. It would be a little bit easier if you used 4x4 Matrices and worked in Homogeneous space rather than Euclidean space. Then the matrices would be:

Translation:
[1 0 0 X]
[0 1 0 Y]
[0 0 1 Z]
[0 0 0 1]

Rotation around X:
[ 1 0 0 0]
[ 0 cosT -sinT 0]
[ 0 sinT cosT 0]
[ 0 0 0 1]

Rotation around Y:
[cosT 0 sinT 0]
[ 0 1 0 0]
[-sinT 0 cosT 0]
[0 0 0 1]

Rotation around Z:
[cosT -sinT 0 0]
[sinT cosT 0 0]
[ 0 0 1 0]
[ 0 0 0 1]

Remember to rotate before you translate and then invert.

M = Inverse(T * Rz * Ry * Rx)

But if your writing yourself a renderer get yourself the bible. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice.
If you got access to your local bookstore, flip open Game Programming Gems. They have the matrix in there, and a description of where the aspect ratio and field of view go into that matrix.

your aim is to find a way to express a camera with a matrix transformation that accepts:

camera position vector
camera target vector
camera "up" vector
field of view
and aspect ratio

the W->V matrix can readily take these values in (i think)

a2k

Edited by - a2k on August 8, 2001 1:34:12 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement