Compile time of GT3

Started by
2 comments, last by KwamiMatrix 22 years, 8 months ago
Hmm, I wonder how long it took Polyphony Digital''s workstations to compile Gran Turismo 3 for the Playstation 2. Well, it probably depends on the workstations that Polyphony Digital has. I doubt that they used Intel Itanium Architechture workstations, but Itanium workstations would be the best choice. Just a thought I felt like sharing. It must have taken a long time. Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Advertisement
About two hours I think. I don''t think they had to compile the whole thing at once. But how long would it take to compile Black&White?????
From "The Final Hours of Black and White" from www.gamespot.com.

"By 6am, the team is ready to compile what it hopes could be the final version. In one corner of the office, a sole computer sits. This high-powered Pentium III has only one function: to compile the 2.5 million lines of Black & White code, which can take upward of 50 minutes to complete."

which makes the GT3 compile time of 2 hours seem a little high to me. However, I''ve been wrong before.
When we did Pac-Man:Adventures in Time (Hasbro) for a rebuild-all of the tools and main game minus the level specific scripts it took about 15-20minutes.

If you include the scripts (which is what I think Lionhead include in that "2.5million lines of code"), it would of course be much higher. If you included conversion, compression and packing of the assets it''d take a few hours.

But it tells you nothing about the game, the source code (or quality of programming) or the compiler - quite a useless question unless you''re curious about how long a complete build takes to make in a commercial game environment... almost all of the builds done during development aren''t full builds - you only build the modules you''re working on at the time.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement