array-size

Started by
4 comments, last by kudi 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi I have two Arrays: array1[100][10000] and array2[1000000] Is it possible that the second one isn''t as fast as the first, if you know what I mean ?
The problem of Object Oriented Programming:Everybody tells you how to use his classes, but nobody how not to do it !
Advertisement
Actually, I think the first one is slower, as in the second one there is only one offset calculation, and I think the first one takes two of them. I''m not sure however...
Hm, you could always code it and see.
    int main (){    int a[100][10000];    int b[1000000];    for (int i=0; i<100; ++i)    {        for (int j=0; j<10000; ++j)        {            a[i][j] = rand ();        }    }    for (i=0; i<1000000; ++i)        b[i] = rand ();    int y = a[rand () % 100][rand () % 10000];    int z = b[rand () % 1000000];    return y + z;}// dissassemblyPUBLIC	_mainEXTRN	__chkstk:NEAREXTRN	_rand:NEAR;	COMDAT _main_TEXT	SEGMENT_a$ = -4000004_b$ = -8000004_main	PROC NEAR					; COMDAT; 7    : {	push	ebp	mov	ebp, esp	mov	eax, 8000004				; 007a1204H	call	__chkstk	push	ebx	push	esi	push	edi; 8    :     int a[100][10000];; 9    :     int b[1000000];; 10   : ; 11   :     for (int i=0; i<100; ++i)	lea	esi, DWORD PTR _a$[ebp]	mov	DWORD PTR -4+[ebp], 100			; 00000064H	mov	ebx, 10000				; 00002710H$L7402:; 12   :     {; 13   :         for (int j=0; j<10000; ++j)	mov	edi, ebx$L7406:; 14   :         {; 15   :             a[i][j] = rand ();	call	_rand	mov	DWORD PTR [esi], eax	add	esi, 4	dec	edi	jne	SHORT $L7406; 8    :     int a[100][10000];; 9    :     int b[1000000];; 10   : ; 11   :     for (int i=0; i<100; ++i)	dec	DWORD PTR -4+[ebp]	jne	SHORT $L7402; 16   :         }; 17   :     }; 18   : ; 19   :     for (i=0; i<1000000; ++i)	mov	edi, 1000000				; 000f4240H	lea	esi, DWORD PTR _b$[ebp]	mov	DWORD PTR -4+[ebp], edi$L7409:; 20   :         b[i] = rand ();	call	_rand	mov	DWORD PTR [esi], eax	add	esi, 4	dec	DWORD PTR -4+[ebp]	jne	SHORT $L7409; 21   : ; 22   :     int y = a[rand () % 100][rand () % 10000];	call	_rand	push	100					; 00000064H	cdq	pop	ecx	idiv	ecx	mov	esi, edx	imul	esi, 10000				; 00002710H	call	_rand	cdq	idiv	ebx	add	esi, edx	mov	esi, DWORD PTR _a$[ebp+esi*4]; 23   :     int z = b[rand () % 1000000];	call	_rand	cdq	idiv	edi	pop	edi; 24   : ; 25   :     return y + z;	mov	eax, DWORD PTR _b$[ebp+edx*4]	add	eax, esi	pop	esi	pop	ebx; 26   : }	leave	ret	0_main	ENDP_TEXT	ENDS  

If you look at the disassembly, it takes more time to initialize array1 because there are two variables to increment, even though both arrays are physically the same size and physically have the same layout in memory.

Also, accessing array members by variable requires more work for the first array than the second, again because of the two dimensions.

It should be noted, though I don't show it here, that if you use constants instead of variables, each array requires just one instruction to access elements. This is because the compiler can pre-compute the actual off-set.

Is one faster than the other? That depends on how you get your indexes. If you have a single index into the one-dimensional array, and you need to calculate how to break that into two dimensions, then the first array is much slower.

However, if you have two dimensions (i.e. x & y coordinates), and you need to translate those into a single dimension manually, you are doing the same work the compiler is doing. Therefore, both methods require the exact same amount of time.

edit: the tags still interpret [ i ] as italics. d'oh.<br><br>Edited by - Stoffel on August 7, 2001 1:53:18 PM
Kudi,

There is no difference between one and the other.
In the end, they''re both basically pointers to some memory space with 1000000 bytes (or whatever the type it is) allocated for it.
The only differnce is how you (the user) access the array elements.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Thanks for these answers. But in my program, the second one is still slower. And I don''t think that the problem are the indexes.

I asked this question because I thought that the computer needs more time to work with big arrays than with small ones. Perhaps I can compare it with textures: Isn''t it faster to use a lot of small textures instead of one big ?

The problem of Object Oriented Programming:Everybody tells you how to use his classes, but nobody how not to do it !
Hem, maybe I should have been more picky about your question when I replied.

When you say "which is faster", that question makes no sense. Arrays are memory. They have no speed. It''s like asking which is faster, a rock or stick? They have no inherent speed, so the question makes no sense.

So, when you put these arrays up, you listed them as static arrays. When you say which is faster, I assumed you meant which one could be accessed faster.

From your last post, it looks like you may be dynamically allocating these arrays. In that case, your question might have been "which is faster to allocate?"

You need to specify what you mean by faster; in other words, what operation with these arrays is specifically slowing things down. Allocation? Reading/writing?

Generally, dynamically allocating a lot of smaller arrays can be faster than allocating a single large array. Reason being that the large array needs to be contiguous in memory, and it may take a while to find that much contiguous memory in the system. On the other hand, you do reach a point of diminishing returns--an array of 1000000 dynamically allocated bytes (i.e. 1 byte per pointer) is obviously just silly and will really hurt performance.

Can you maybe state your question more clearly?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement