Blender import scripts?

Started by
0 comments, last by Qoy 22 years, 8 months ago
Hello. I am a programmer, and I''m planning on implementing a model loader soon. I have a friend who owns maya, and he is going to be making some models for me to use, but I can''t decide what format we should exchange the models in. What I''d really like to do is write a python script for blender to export the model data that I need to file, in my own format, but the problem is that blender only reads its own file format. I could write an import script from some format maya can export to load the data into blender, but the whole point of writing the export script would be so that I don''t need to learn another format. So my question is, does anyone know where I could find some blender scripts that import common file formats? I don''t personally know what formats maya will export, but I would assume it''ll do all the common ones. Thanks!
Advertisement
If it helps you at all, blender can in fact import vrml 1.0 and dxf files. Be warned that dxf takes a long time to import with blender.

Remember that if you do make an import system, make sure it preserves object structures. There''s nothing worse than importing a complete 3d model of a complex machine or similar device composed of many nested objects, only to find they have all been fudged into one massive, godawful mesh that you need to pick out and researate all the individual vertices from, before you can animate separate parts of it.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement