• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bismuth

Packaging system

This topic is 2994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am looking to implement a package system for a game engine. Basically, a package is an archive that can store multiple files and data in just one file. This is to make the data distribution a bit easier and to tidy up the folders a bit. I was going to code my own file format, but I realized I can just ask to see whether there are already any existing libraries out there that I can use instead. It should be easy to extract individual files from a package plus I think some sort of compression would be nice too. Any hints? I was looking at how Unreal engine does it.

Advertisement
You might try zlib. IIRC 7-zip is also available as a library.

Alternatively, you might want to look for alternative zip libraries.
If compression is not a big must you could even code your own zip zeader/writer.

PhysicsFS is a C library that supports a number of archive formats. I, personally, use Zip files for data archives, and PhysicsFS can handle them perfectly. It's also pretty simple to use.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Cleanup.

Yes, I was actually considering the 7zip file format. Zlib offers no internal data structure and is merely a compression library. Zip was as a thought too, but I would prefer 7z over it. PhysicsFS looks interesting, but I am not sure whether I actually need support for that many file types.

I'll try out 7z for now. They have a nice SDK available.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!