• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Viik

Any stable importance sampling for VPLs ?

This topic is 3085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm experimenting with real-time GI algorithms right now. Ones that I'm trying are based on reflective shadow maps as a source for generating VPL. The main issue right now is to obtaine a coherent solution for VPL's position\flux. I would really appriciate some good advice on this, maybe I've just missed a paper that has a good solution. I have an idea but not sure how efficient that would be and how it can be mapped to GPU. During pre-process, possible positions for VPLs are scatered over the scene. Later, in real-time, each position is rendered from light point of view using points, so only one that can emmit light with current light orientation will be left in buffer. So basically it's a regular RSM but with a bit different way of rendering it. What I'm not getting is to how efficiently read VPLs from such texture, won't using CPU for this might be too slow? Or I just threat empty fragments as invalid VPLs and don't count them later during shading?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!