• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Icebone1000

DX11 DX11- "initialize a texture and view separately" SDK mistake?

This topic is 3086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to load a texture separately of the view, and on the SDK theres this: ID3D11Texture2D * pTexture = NULL; ID3D11ShaderResourceView *pSRView = NULL; D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC srvDesc; D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC desc; // Load the texture and initialize an ID3D11Texture2D object. D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile( pDevice, L"sample.bmp", NULL, NULL, &pTexture, NULL ); // Get a texture description to determine the texture // format of the loaded texture. pTexture2D->GetDesc( &desc ); But D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile doesnt receive a ID3D11Texture, it receives a ID3D11Resource, with implicates that this example is all wrong, since you cant get a texture description from that like the sdk shows: // Get a texture description to determine the texture // format of the loaded texture. pTexture2D->GetDesc( &desc ); So I checked on the DX10 SDK and indeed it does different: ID3D10Resource *pTexture = NULL; D3DX10CreateTextureFromFile( pDevice, L"sample.bmp", NULL, NULL, &pTexture, NULL ); And so it takes the description like that: D3D10_TEXTURE2D_DESC desc; ID3D10Texture2D *pTexture2D = (ID3D10Texture2D*)pTexture; pTexture2D->GetDesc( &desc ); srvDesc.Format = desc.Format; srvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D10_SRV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D; srvDesc.Texture2D.MipLevels = desc.MipLevels; srvDesc.Texture2D.MostDetailedMip = desc.MipLevels -1; Wich is little more complex..I want know if I can do like the DX11 says but casting the param: ID3D11Texture2D *pTex2D = NULL; D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC texdesc = {0}; D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile(pDevice_p,szTex,NULL,NULL,(ID3D11Resource**)&pTex2D, NULL ); Will it works like expected? It seems to be working, since Im geting the description correctly. Is ok to do that?

Advertisement
To be entirely safe - and since the implementation of COM is allowed to change, you should QueryInterface() for the D3D11Texture2D instead of casting. You're doing a down cast so this method will result in either NULL or the object you requested, which will allow you to detect error conditions.

Casting a pointer to a pointer to a derived class (e.g. ID3D11Texture2D**) to a pointer to a pointer to a base class (e.g. ID3D11Resource**) is generally NOT safe, although it might work in some situations (e.g. if there is only single inheritance).

However, to be on the safe side, you should never do this. Just pass a pointer to a real ID3D11Resource* and then use QueryInterface to downcast to ID3D11Texture2D*.

Weird, im getting errors setting the mip levels that Im not understanding..I did like in the DX10 SDK:

//create texture:
ID3D11Resource *pTex2D = NULL;
//ID3D11Texture2D *pTex2D = NULL;//
D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC texdesc = {0};

if( D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile( pDevice_p, szTex, NULL, NULL, &pTex2D, NULL ) != S_OK ) return E_FAIL;

//((ID3D11Texture2D*)pTex2D)->GetDesc( &texdesc );//not very safe
ID3D11Texture2D *pTex2D_tmp = NULL;
pTex2D->QueryInterface( __uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D), (VOID**)&pTex2D_tmp );
pTex2D_tmp->GetDesc( &texdesc );
donne(pTex2D_tmp);

//create shader resource view:
D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC srvdesc; ZeroMemory( &srvdesc, sizeof(D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC) );
srvdesc.Format = texdesc.Format;
srvdesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_SRV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;
srvdesc.Texture2D.MipLevels = texdesc.MipLevels;
srvdesc.Texture2D.MostDetailedMip = texdesc.MipLevels-1;

if( pDevice_p->CreateShaderResourceView( pTex2D, &srvdesc, &pSRV_p ) != S_OK ){
donne(pTex2D);
return E_FAIL;
}

donne(pTex2D);

Notice that:
srvdesc.Texture2D.MipLevels = texdesc.MipLevels;
srvdesc.Texture2D.MostDetailedMip = texdesc.MipLevels-1;
Makes sense right? But I get this error:
The Dimensions of the View are invalid due to at least one of the following conditions. MostDetailedMip (value = 8) must be between 0 and MipLevels-1(WITCH IS EXACTLY WHAT IM DOING) of the Texture Resource, 8, inclusively. With the current MostDetailedMip, MipLevels (value = 9) must be between 1 and 1(WHAT?? I DONT GET IT..), inclusively, or -1 to default to all mips from MostDetailedMip, in order that the View fit on the Texture.

If the miplevels returns 9, means 8 is the most detailed, with is what is being setted, why it says MipLevels must be between 1 and 1?
If i set MipLevels to 1 or -1 and let the mostdetailedmip with 0 it works btw..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!