• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bluehailex

Designing A Map Editor

This topic is 2992 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering what it takes to be able to make a tile-based map editor with support for a trigger system. Like what would I have to know as far as languages. I know c++ along with DirectX and a little knowledge of the windows API.

Advertisement
Quote:
Like what would I have to know as far as languages.
All the various syntactical constructs in the language. Language idioms. Knowledge of the language's standard library. Then knowledge of any third party libraries you depend on, and any language constructs they depend on. For example, the Windows API is a C API, so you should be comfortable with C idioms being used in C++, as well as things like C strings and so on.

Not that much really, you don't need to be an expert on the language or anything like that.

Quote:
So if I get a decent understanding of the windows API (I don't know much now) that would be about it?
In terms of language and API knowledge, yes.

Quote:
Original post by frr171
I used the QT GUI Toolkit for creating the map editor for my engine:

">

Are you referring to this?

http://qt.nokia.com/products

QT is confusing and hard to use for beginners, (or at least me), due to its use of a special preprocessor.

Instead of trying to make it in C++, why not pick a language with more intuitive GUI libraries? I've heard C# is good.

The C# GUI is definitely easier to use than QT.
Because I wanted to tie the editor directly into the already written C++ executable, I was forced to use QT however.

But for creating a general purpose map editor, C# is great. You might want to consider looking at D2D as an example.

http://www.dannylum.com/D2DProject/

Do you know this project?
Tiled

I think that you can browse the sources and if you find it a good project contribute with your ideas.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!