• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
elias4444

OpenGL What openGL library to use?

This topic is 3168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking into switching over from Java+LWJGL to C++. Most of the books I have all say to use GLUT, but it seems horribly out of date. I found this page: http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/windowtoolkits/ but am trying to figure out which one is most current and most complete for an openGL implementation. Any recommendations? I need whichever one I choose to be Windows/Mac/Linux compatible.

Advertisement
GLUT is for educational purposes only. You are wise to avoid it.

I recommend SDL.

http://www.libsdl.org/

SDL is great at more than just opening up OpenGL; it handles device input, loads images for use as OpenGL textures, etc.

Oh wow! SFML looks really nice! Thanks!

Have you been using it for a while? Any good/bad experiences you'd like to share?

GLUT is dead

FreeGLUT, however, is not. Additionally, unless I am wrong, its the only window manager to support cross platform GL 3+ contexts. SDL 1.3 says it can do that, but its not released yet. (also, its not BSD, its LGPL, which means dynamic linking only)

Last time I was looking I stumbled upon this question on stackoverflow and found the listing to be quite comprehensive. I'd also say SFML or SDL are the most promising options.

I also found Visualization Library a little while ago and it looks pretty neat. It might not be what you're looking for though, as it wraps the OpenGL API. I'm wondering if anyone here has toyed around with it...

Edit: Oh, and there is also gloot by TTK-Bandit, I'm not sure if he's still working on it though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!