Virtual Earth Type of Application

Started by
2 comments, last by Antheus 14 years ago
I am trying to create an application like Google Earth. I want to place objects that contain GIS data onto a virtual globe. I want the user to be able to maneuver in this world in 3D. I want to use Visual Studios .NET and the application will be running in Windows 7. I have a couple question: What Graphics Engine should I use? (OSG, Direct X,....) What GIS API should I use? (ESRI,ThinkGeo,...) Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Quote:What Graphics Engine should I use? (OSG, Direct X,....)
Whichever works and is supported on the particular phone you're targetting.

Quote:What GIS API should I use? (ESRI,ThinkGeo,...)
Depends on the license.

Most of map data is not free, and has strict terms of use.

NASA worldwind offers free data for non-profit open source projects.
This is going to be a desktop application on Windows 7. I will be purchasing the GIS data. I want to select something that is easy to work with and has the best performance.
Quote:Original post by ReubenR
This is going to be a desktop application on Windows 7.
Oops, serves me right for multitasking while reading on Windows Mobile...

Which brings me to next question, if it's desktop - why not use Google Earth, and just write custom kml. It gives complete world data, and supports considerable features for adding content on top of it.

Quote:I will be purchasing the GIS data.
Some of global map data sets require yearly licenses in multi-million range, others aren't even available for distribution. This applies to globe data as well (drawing the Earth), not just the proprietary info the application would add.

Quote:I want to select something that is easy to work with and has the best performance.

The GIS API depends on the data source chosen. Wherever the data comes from determines how it's formatted. If that is not a constraint, then look at feature sets of various APIs and licensing and distribution terms.

Another issue is that most of map data and some GIS APIs require application to be free of charge or that results be freely available, perhaps even open source.

Global map data and GIS in general is a very controlled field, so it really isn't as simple as picking the best, first determine the intended use, then see what options are left.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement