Web Programming

Started by
14 comments, last by pulpfist 14 years ago
O know It's not all about games, but i thought it would be useful to know how to create web sites. I already nprogrammed C/C++ almost 1.8 year(also SDL ) :D and now learning C# and XNA. So, I think it would be useful to create web sites in future, and I wont start learning right now. I think this will come in summer :) So, i wanna ask, what languages it will be useful to learn for creating web sites?

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
HTML
CSS
&#106avascript<br>
I can combine many languages?
and what about PHP?

For client side: html,css,&#106avascript.<br><br>For dynamic content i would suggest also a little of PHP for server side.
My dev blog: gameluna.blogspot.com
Quote:Original post by kaktusas2598
and what about PHP?

Basically you will combine many language while writing website. A simple example could be:

Suppose you want create something for browsing a table with many swords/potions/whatever without reloading the entire page (like for example ogame did).

You should with a button generate an asynchronous request in &#106avascript for the server php page. The php page will query a database with mysql or so, will generate the html for the table filled with items you want browse. The php page will answer your request. You will use DOM (&#106avascript) for inserting the html received in you page and finally that page is presented/formatted in css.<br><br>Writing an high dynamic website is about combine many many language at &#111;nce :)
My dev blog: gameluna.blogspot.com
Web development, at it's bare minimum, is XHTML. Learn that first, as it structures web sites. Try to get a feel for what it's tags do, then move on to CSS to style your tags and specific parts of your site. Later on, you'll want more in the "dynamic" department, so look into &#106avascript for effects that can occur without reloading the page. Once you are ready to move up into the bigger leagues, decide on a testing server like Apache with a preprocessor language like PHP or ASP and couple it with a flavor of SQL for working with databases. If you are on windows, I suggest WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP). Specifically, I suggest this.

ALL of the information you need is here. See the links at the top nav bar? Follow them from left to right, and when you get to PHP/ASP, choose one.

This may seem daunting, but I've actually found web development to be much easier than general purpose programming. You can get started with all I described after oh, a few days of reading. Grab a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver if you can.

Quick summary

XHTML -> Structure
CSS -> Appearance
&#106avascript -&gt; Dynamic Content<br>PHP/ASP -&gt; Server-side preprocessor control<br>SQL -&gt; Database stuff<br>Flash, etc. -&gt; Bells and whistles, but some sites are based &#111;n this.
You kind of have to.

The standard "web-stuff" is:
HTML is the 'markup language' used to describe your content (and a bit of layout).
CSS is used to describe the rest of the layout and the presentation.
&#106avascript is the only programming language you've got access to on the client side (without plugins).

Alternatively, you can replace or supplement most of the above with Flash (which uses ActionScript as the client-side programming language).

On the server-side, there's lots of languages, such as PHP. Usually you'll use PHP to generate the HTML to be sent to the client, and the HTML will link to CSS and JS files on your web-server.

[edit]Heh, i had this window open for half an hour before I replied and got ninjad twice :/
It will be easy to learn these languages if i got experience with C/C++/C#?

The most important thing to remember with Web Programming is that it's stateless.

i.e. you need a mechanism to maintain the state.

Whether it's an handle (to the complete state in the DB) in a cookie, an handle in the URL or a handle/complete state in the <form> you need to have a mechanism to keep it on every page.

If you're using ASP I'd avoid using the Built in Session stuff...
It will be easy to learn these languages if i got experience with C/C++/C#?

You can program your back-end in c#. MS offers free tools to build your site in c# (of course, you'll have to use html/css and &#106avascript for your front-end) <br><br>If you know XML, html will be a breeze.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement