• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EkFlame

video ( texutre ) memory corruption

This topic is 3082 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello~ every one. I asked same problem like this, but I have not solved it yet... Therefore, I should need your helps for this problem once again, if you know any information about this.. please tell me. I am making 3D Game with Direct3D9. When I and my coworkers test my game, texture memory on loaded video memory are corrupted very occasionally. It was very similar to this click this Before make corruption, system was frozen for a few seconds... As Blizzard said I am suspecting Heat Problem, but I can't take any evidence. My studio has more than 25 PC, and 5-PC have same problem. I have tested some 3D-Benchmark program, but it didn't make that problem. When I tested my game on my PC, ATITool detected temperature more than 82 ℃. did it make this problem? Ah... I need evidence... my code make it or hardware problem... Of course, I have tested my game code with Direct3D-Debug Dll and PerfhHUD... but they didn't detect any warning or error except performance warning ( Lock-Buffe more than twice.. etc ) please help me... tell me your experience like this..

Advertisement
If you are really talking about 82° Celsius, that would indicate that this is indeed a heat problem. Those images you linked are typical for overheated graphic cards.

82° Fahrenheit would be pretty normal, I'd say...

Is there another possibility?
Is there sample codes can make the problem ( freeze and corruption )?

Well, once upon a time I played a commercial game which caused the graphics card to overheat and corrupt the graphics badly. This was quite a common problem among players with very different computers.

The developers released some patches and the problem disappeared.

The game was Armed Assault made by Bohemia Interactive Studio.

Nowadays, on the exact same hardware and operating system, there are no overheating or texture corruption problems at all running the game.

What changed? The game!

Quote:
Original post by EkFlame
Is there another possibility?
Is there sample codes can make the problem ( freeze and corruption )?
It's entirely possible that you messed up a texture lock, for example by writing outside the locked region, or writing to the texture after you unlocked it. If that's not the case then it'll almost certainly be due to overheating.

You could also try the reference rasterizer. Because it runs on the CPU, it shouldn't affected by GPU overheating (Other than the entire desktop getting messed up of course).

Quote:
Original post by reptor
Well, once upon a time I played a commercial game which caused the graphics card to overheat and corrupt the graphics badly. This was quite a common problem among players with very different computers.

The developers released some patches and the problem disappeared.

The game was Armed Assault made by Bohemia Interactive Studio.

Nowadays, on the exact same hardware and operating system, there are no overheating or texture corruption problems at all running the game.

What changed? The game!
It's not possible for the game to cause overheating like that unless the drivers are faulty. All the developers probably did was detect certain driver versions and ramp down the effects to put less load on the GPU, E.g. by enabling V-sync, using lower resolution textures, etc.

thanks very much Reptor and Evil Steve.

I suspected mess up texture by myself, but after some test I have thought it has low possibility. Because when I test it, I limit changing ( lock, write, copy, alloc, free texture ), but after some hours texture were corrupted.

In addition, after reset-device, all texture were recovery( removed corruption ), and D3DDebugMode can detect double lock mistake with OutputWindow. I make some write overrun on a purpose, but it make a just access violation problem...

Therefore, I will test with V-Sync. In my case, it can reduce temperature under 71℃(Celsius)
I hope it bring me good result... but it make same problem, I will check my code again,, again.... and again..

Quote:
Original post by Evil SteveIt's not possible for the game to cause overheating like that unless the drivers are faulty. All the developers probably did was detect certain driver versions and ramp down the effects to put less load on the GPU, E.g. by enabling V-sync, using lower resolution textures, etc.

Maybe. I don't know exactly what they changed.

But I wrote my post with the idea that the game developers unfortunately need to deal with that whether they want to or not. It may not be their fault but they cannot ignore the problem.

Which is probably why they made a post at their blog saying they are doing more development for the consoles because the PC suffers from instability and of other problems too much. I fully agree to that.

Quote:
Original post by reptor
But I wrote my post with the idea that the game developers unfortunately need to deal with that whether they want to or not. It may not be their fault but they cannot ignore the problem.

Which is probably why they made a post at their blog saying they are doing more development for the consoles because the PC suffers from instability and of other problems too much. I fully agree to that.
The GPU overheating is a hardware problem, and there's absolutely no reason for a software developer to spend any time and money working around broken hardware, when it's the hardware vendor's responsibility to get it fixed through a driver patch if possible.
The only possible reason I can see that a company would spend money to fix a problem that isn't theirs is if they have a large user base experiencing the problem, the hardware vendor has said they don't intend on fixing the issue, and the company particularly wants to keep its customers happy (E.g. some enterprisey program used by someone important like government).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!