• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maya18222

Triangle tesselation

This topic is 3167 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was looking into triangle tesselation, and while I have managed to successfully create a recursive tesselation routine. im wondering how to get a smooth result. As at the moment I simply tesselate over the triangles plane, so the end result is obviously just as flat looking as the original model. Now i cant seem to find much in regard to triangles. A lot of the stuff im finding is to do with square patches. Does anyone have any related links I could have a look at?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by maya18222
I was looking into triangle tesselation, and while I have managed to successfully create a recursive tesselation routine. im wondering how to get a smooth result. As at the moment I simply tesselate over the triangles plane, so the end result is obviously just as flat looking as the original model.

Now i cant seem to find much in regard to triangles. A lot of the stuff im finding is to do with square patches.

Does anyone have any related links I could have a look at?

I think you are looking for catmull-clark subdivision:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

I don´t know much about it, but i think these are the results you want. Searching for tutorials or sample implementations might help you. I don´t know if it works with triangles, but you can subdivide and then triangulate afterwards.

Here are some more links having to do with triangulation:

http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Libs/triangulate.html

But as ArKano22 mentioned, I think you're interested in model/polygon/triangle subdivision.

Yep thanks. Its not the trianglulation im having trouble with though. Its the smoothing being done at the same time. ie

But i think ArKano22's suggestion is relevent to what I need

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!