Triangle tesselation

Started by
4 comments, last by maya18222 14 years ago
I was looking into triangle tesselation, and while I have managed to successfully create a recursive tesselation routine. im wondering how to get a smooth result. As at the moment I simply tesselate over the triangles plane, so the end result is obviously just as flat looking as the original model. Now i cant seem to find much in regard to triangles. A lot of the stuff im finding is to do with square patches. Does anyone have any related links I could have a look at?
Advertisement
Use normals (or normal map) to shape the model? Or some sort of height map extruded along the normals?
Quote:Original post by maya18222
I was looking into triangle tesselation, and while I have managed to successfully create a recursive tesselation routine. im wondering how to get a smooth result. As at the moment I simply tesselate over the triangles plane, so the end result is obviously just as flat looking as the original model.

Now i cant seem to find much in regard to triangles. A lot of the stuff im finding is to do with square patches.

Does anyone have any related links I could have a look at?

I think you are looking for catmull-clark subdivision:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

I don´t know much about it, but i think these are the results you want. Searching for tutorials or sample implementations might help you. I don´t know if it works with triangles, but you can subdivide and then triangulate afterwards.
@NecroDOME Im looking for actual subdivision techniques
@ArKano22 Thanks, I'll look into that.
Here are some more links having to do with triangulation:

http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Libs/triangulate.html

But as ArKano22 mentioned, I think you're interested in model/polygon/triangle subdivision.
Yep thanks. Its not the trianglulation im having trouble with though. Its the smoothing being done at the same time. ie

But i think ArKano22's suggestion is relevent to what I need

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement