• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JimmyRose

Quaternions or Vector Math

This topic is 3165 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm creating a class that controls a planes movement where depending on the planes position and angle the plane will rotate and simulate realistic plane movement. I've been designing on how to construct a class for the program and I was planning on using vector math for creating the plane's movement but someone told me that Quaternion’s is a better option. What would be the best option and why? Thanks for helping!!!

Advertisement
If you're new to 3-d math, I'd recommend sticking to vector math and/or matrices and not worrying about quaternions for now. Quaternions have some nice characteristics, but anything you can do with a quaternion you can pretty much do with a matrix (or just a set of three orthonormal vectors), so there's really no 'need', per se, to use quaternions for this.

As for vectors and matrices, although this can be easily done by storing and manipulating a set of three basis vectors (e.g. side, up, and forward), it's a bit more convenient (and is functionally equivalent) to use a matrix. Given a 3x3 rotation matrix and a position vector, you can control and maneuver the plane in pretty much any way you can think of.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!