• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Awoken

[web] Online Intelligence test.

This topic is 2981 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I'm interested in programing the cadillac of online intelligence tests. I want it to be visually appealing and entertaining for those who participate. There are certain criteria I need though to make this idea a reality and need to know how to go about getting it done. First, how do I get a domain name for my test? i.e www.thebigbrain.com or whatever. I need the test to be able to do some complex calculations I'd like the test to do some random question generations (from a template). I need the users to sign up and make an account. for each email registered, the user is allowed to attempt the test once. I need the performance stats for all users to be stored and constantly updateable. What program or programs can I use to make this website? Can I have VB populate the test webpages from the background? if not what program can I use? I'm willing to dedicate my own personal server for this website. Any help is appriciated. (UPDATED) I recently visited a website called lumosity and it's a training site, but the interface and setup is similar to what I want to accomplish. So if you'd like an idea of the complexity I'm after, please visit www.lumosity.com Thanks again [Edited by - Awoken on April 13, 2010 10:37:35 AM]

Advertisement
1) Are you married to a particular technology platform (you mention VB, are you ASP.NET/VB.NET/C#.NET savvy, or can you work in an Apache/PHP/MySQL environment)?

2) (Assuming your server platform is insufficient, see #1) do you require hosting services in addition to domain registration?

3) What is your development budget and timeline?

4) Under what accreditation or credentials can you justify attributing marks to participants' results?

#1, I've downloaded Microsoft Web developer 2010. And so far it's very intuitive to use, especially for a VB background. So already I've begun developing it. However, there will be more questions to come.

#2 & #3, I'm currently under the impression I'll just have a spare computer run the server side, but perhaps I'll have someone else run it and pay for it.

#4 None, the reason this site is going to be special is because 1, I don't need to attribute marks. 2 the results and will me more accurate than any other that I've seen on the web thus far. If someone is truely looking for a professionally administered IQ test (which there isn't one avaiable on the web) you're not going to go to the web looking for one. You might find what my site has to offer intreguing as an alternative to an IQ test.

I'd hate to burst the bubble but the only commonly accepted IQ tests are those that are done under supervision of a registered psychologist. Web tests are too easy to hack.

A true IQ test is more than just multiple choise questions.

Ernow, if you enjoy the challenge of a good intellegence test, I think you may enjoy what my site will have to offer.

How could someone hack the site? I'm going to have VB run the test, would it be possible for someone to hack the coding? if so are there ways to get around potential hackers? The only way this test can maintain its integerity is if nobody tampers with it, or if few people tamper with it.

[Edited by - Awoken on April 19, 2010 5:08:22 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Awoken
How could someone hack the site?

The word "hack" has a lot of meanings. In this case it means breaking/cheating/subverting the test. Not cracking the server software.

So then I shouldn't have to worry about someone hacking the coding to learn the answers?

I'm going to require that everyone who wants to take the test register an email address. then for every email address they register, they can take the test once. This will help minimize people taking the test again and again.

So I'm using windows Web developer 2010, it allows me to develop VB coding for the website. If I have a serving hosting the website, would the code be executed on a personal computer or the server? How could I create the program to submit the answers chosen to the server for correction? I don't want someone to be able to easily access all the answers. right now the way I have it set up is when a page loads, the information (and answers) are available within the program. How could I prevent someone from accessing this information? Or can anyone access this information?

If this is something you are wondering about I do think that you're not ready to develop what you envision.

Yes, the code should run on the server and you should store the answers on the server as well and never pass them to the client.

Still, registering multiple emailaddresses is easy. So cheating is still very probable.

As a side note:
I do not enjoy an IQ test. I enjoy the puzzles. What use is an IQ test? Your IQ is pretty much fixed as is your height. Bragging about your IQ it is equally usefull as bragging about your height. It is not your accomplishment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!