• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
homojedi

setting up DevIL

This topic is 3168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

okay i just downloaded the latest version of DevIL, and am baffled by the amount of files it has. and was looking at the tutorial to set it up but it's nearly a decade old. and it says to do the regular #include headers...and then link to the libs. but there is other ones aswell such as src-IL, src-ILU and src-ILUT with their own header and lib files, on top of that there is a manual that says to edit a config file then run a batch file...im so confused...help please cheers

Advertisement
Ask yourself a question - do you really need devIL? It's pain to use, somewhat buggy especially when you try cross-platform development, and it's currently not maintained (the main dev is working on his PhD).

well it would be nice to implement.....i need a way to load images and ive been told either to use free image or Devil. DevIl is an arse to install and there is no good turoials for freeimage....so a little assitance would be awesome

You could try SOIL. Not maintained anymore either but it's 1 function call which returns a GLuint as a texture ID. I've never had any problems with it.

Quote:
Original post by homojedi
DevIl is an arse to install

Really? What platform are you on? On windows it's a simple as:

-download sdk (which has the libs dlls and headers only)
-make sure your compiler and linker can find the headers (il.h, ilu.h, ilut.h) and libs (Devil32.lib, ilu32.lib, ilut32.lib IIRC)
-make sure your exe can find the dlls
-that's it!

I don't remember having any trouble with it on linux, but that was some years ago.

Quote:
Original post by tori
Ask yourself a question - do you really need devIL? It's pain to use, somewhat buggy especially when you try cross-platform development, and it's currently not maintained (the main dev is working on his PhD).

What exactly do you find painful about it? What are the bugs you've seen?

I've used it for years, and it's been great.

Quote:

What exactly do you find painful about it? What are the bugs you've seen?

okay at first i wasent using the SDK so no dll or libs, so i thought using the sdk would make it all better, but its still giving me lnk 2001;s suggesting i have linked to the libs properly so it cant find the functions ilGenImages( );

it says error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__ilGenImages@8

and in additional dependencies im putting

DevIL.lib
ILU.lib
ILUT.lib

god dammit i thought using the sdk would finally rid me of my woes

edit: im on 64 bit windows and hence downloaded the 64 bit version of DevIL, doubt it would be causing me problems but maybe

Hmm. I just ran dumpbin on the 64bit DevIL.lib, and it has __imp__ilGenImages, but no __imp__ilGenImages@8. __imp__ilGenImages@8 is define din the 32 bit version.

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about differences in name decoration between win32 and win64 (or much about 64bit development at all, actually!). As far as I can tell from a quick search, it seems that you are building a 32 bit app which expects the @8 decoration, which is not in the 64 bit lib because 64 bit stuff uses a different calling convention.

To cut a long story short - I suggest you try the 32 bit sdk, or see if there's a project setting that will tell the linker you're using 64bit libs. If that doesn't work then use another lib I guess.

If you're interested in working out why the 64 bit version doesn't work for you, you could edit the title of this thread to include something like "64bit name decoration?" and hopefully somebody who knows more than me will be able to help.

Sorry to have cheerfully told you it was easy, when it's clearly not in your situation!

changed it to 32 bit and it compiles fine...im yet to actually try to draw an image...but lets hope that is painless....phew...only took me 8 hours

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!