• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Swamper

Colonies [RPG Shooter Online]

This topic is 3076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! Watch the project, but rather help in testing the prototype. Name: Colonies style: RPG Shooter Online API: DirectX Description: You are the space mariner, were abandoned on a planet infested insect creatures. Your goal - to survive at any cost and, if not possible, to capture as many creatures from the grave. At some point, may appear competitors :) This demo is tested: - ergonomic of controls - game camera - stability - load on the server Do not pay attention to: - no sound - no GUI - lack of play balance - no other purpose but to "kill Monsters" Controls: WASD - movement Mouse1 - shooting, respawn System requirements: - CPU ~Core2Duo 6400 - Vido ~GeForce 8800GT - connection to Internet - OS Windows XP/Vista/7 Installation manual: 1. Download client (~75 MB) http://www.mediafire.com/file/hljdmmn2u1y/colonies-client-2010-04-13.zip 2. Unpack archive and run launcher.exe 3. Choose resolution and push the Launch button Known problems: 1. Sometimes the first time may not connect to the server. Recipe: try again Screenshots: Expected feedback: Reviews for ergonomics and control the game camera. General impression. What is it like and that not like it. Problems. Regards, Swamper [Edited by - Swamper on April 13, 2010 3:08:19 PM]

Advertisement
Hi,

Those screens are promising.

> no other purpose but to "kill Monsters"

You will be surprised, but lot of people like it :)

Will give it a try tonight!

Cheers,
Joel.

I played it briefly, good job!

What I like:
general stability, had a ping between 70 and 170, no problems with disconnects or lags
the aliens are quite cool (for example the big worms, nice :))

What I didn't like:
no way to adjust my rotating speed
felt quite slow (moving)
the alien AI... in the beginning I can run around and shoot stuff, every alien ignores me. after some time every alien runs towards me, hits me once and dies, the sudden hostility is strange.

Wow, very promising demo! I just played it, and I'm not the only one, I saw at least 4 diffrent players while playing.

No disconnections/lags.

Some monster models and animations were quite impressing for a game at this early stage, bravo to the artist :)

The AI was a plus for me, the sudden hostility makes the game more intresting. And, as far as I remember, the aliens were always attacking me while or before I started shooting them.

By the way, as I was shooting monsters, I wondered whether I could shoot my teammates. And yes, I could! The downside is they could shoot me as well. My apologies to the guy I killed... :(

Don't get me wrong, I liked the AI when it went to kill me. Just the sudden (and sometimes unprovoked) switch from "i don't care" to "WRAAGH! I kill you!" was strange. (I wanted to see if I can get infinite kills by walking backwards and shooting because the aliens are slower than me and suddendly aliens behind me (which i didn't attack) startet to kill me :()

Man this was a blast! The boss got me (and the other guy as well)!!

What it lacks: Run mode (i.e. you can not shoot but run faster).

AI: The "WAARG kill you" is fun, but it should also have a predictable part (based on aggro for example).

Aside that the game was stable and smooth. Good ambience. Good work!

Thanks for your comments!
Can you show where else I can post the information about the project and gather feedback?

This is a very fun game and I had a great time playing it. The game itself looks very good and plays fairly smoothly. The beginning aliens seem to be a little too easy to kill, while the boss just annihilated me. I would like to adjust the rotation speed as well, and it seems like the aliens sometimes come and attack you while other times they let me shoot me up. Overall, this game is very fun and it has a lot of potential.

Downloading now, you should post this on the "Image of the Day" subforum here in GameDev.

[EDIT]

I entered the game and the screen started "flashing" like the monsters and the trees were popping in and out of the game, couldn't read the text either, moved a bit and it crashed: "Can't create vertex buffer".

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT
Windows 7
Sony Vaio laptop

Runned it again and I get this all the time on screen:

"Cant create texture from file in memmory (trasser"

The flashing of textures and objects is continous.

[Edited by - fruki on April 16, 2010 12:43:32 PM]

Did you disable screenshots or something? If so, why? I couldn't seem to take them when your window was active. Managed to get one to show the bug I got anyway:

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
1022MB RAM
RADEON X300SE 256.0 MB
DirectX 9.0c

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!