[.net] How to get server stats in C#

Started by
8 comments, last by Nik02 14 years ago
Hello, I'm a bit new here. I was wondering how I can get server stats (points,kills, etc) in C#. Lets say I rent a server, how can i acheive this. Its for betting purposes so i need to show what the score is for authenticity. -caps, jpetrie [Edited by - jpetrie on April 13, 2010 9:48:59 AM]
Advertisement
In addition to renting a server, you need to run game software - that you develop or license - in it.

This software (server tier) can implement service endpoints to which other software (client tier) can connect via the internet, and call the server functions remotely. This is how clients and servers communicate in general, too. A stat query is, in its simplest form, just a service method which you can call from a client and which returns some statistics data.

You need solid programming experience to build a system like this, though. It is not very difficult to communicate between clients and servers in a small infrastructure, but you do need to know exactly what you're doing. Based on your question, I'd guess that you don't have the necessary programming experience just yet; feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Niko Suni

Why would I need licensing? I would be renting the server from gameservers.com, a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare server to be exact. Would I need to just rent a Dedicated server instead? All i want is end game statistics. How can i query them?? Sorry if im not understanding you :)
In your first post, you didn't say anything about the software you're going to run in the server. I tend to assume that most visitors here build their own games, seeing as this is gamedev.net. :)

Anyway, I believe that if you can indeed rent a complete COD:MW server, it implements a service interface that I mentioned. In this case, just read the documentation of the server software to find out how to connect to and use it.

Niko Suni

Sorry :) It just seemed like the place would know. Is there a much more recommended forum?
Have you asked the hosting company (GameServers.com)?

Niko Suni

yes, and they said they cannot help/assist with this. :(
Okay, how about the developer of COD:MW, Infinity Ward?

Niko Suni

hmm, didnt think about that. I will ask them.
If they can't/won't help you, your options are pretty much exhausted.

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement