Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Choff

Need help with writing to a surface

Hi, I''m teaching myself direct draw progrmming by writing a game. I''m using the book "Windows 95 programming for dumbies" As a guid and updating all the code to for direct input 8 and 16 bit graphics. I''m creating a video mode o 1024x768x16. I have directx 8 installed and a Voodoo 3 video card. The problem I''m having is when I try to write directly to the surface buffers. I''m holding a global pointer (word *) to the surface and locking it before I start writing to the surface. I then get the pitch value and surface address from the surface info structure. The pitch value is also saved in a global WORD. Any code that advances my WORD* accross the surface doesn''t line up properly example: lpPointerToSurface = lpPointerToSurface + x +(y*pitch); This code only works if I devide the pitch by 2 before I use it. If I use a 1024x768x8 surface, convert all the surface pointers to BYTE pointers (or UCHAR pointers) advancing my pointer works fine and I don''t have to devide the pitch by 2. I know this is just a STUPID oversite on my part. Any insite would help. feel free to email me please choff_2001@hotmail.com . big kid with adult powers

IIRC the pitch is always specified in bytes, so there is nothing strange with having to divide it with 2 if you want a count of words.

thanks for the reply!

That was bugging me... I didn''t reallize that the pitch is always returned as the number of bytes... makes sense now