• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
schupf

Direct2D tutorial

This topic is 3168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, so I read a lot of marketing blabla that Direct2D is a great api for 2D and text rendering, and I want to give it a try, since I need text rendering in my Direct3D10 render engine. but my big problem is: I just cant find ONE Direct2D tutorial, that shows me how to use D2D inside a D3D10 app (for example render simple text to the render target). Does anyone knows a Direct2D tutorial that shows how to use it inside a D3D10 app?

Advertisement
Thanks a lot!

2 more questions:

1) I downloaded the project and when I try to run it visual studio gives me an error it cant find "d2d1.lib". I searched in my lib DX SDK folder (I have the march 2009 SDK) and indeed I dont have a d2d1.lib, only a d2d1_beta.lib. Does this mean I have to download a newer version of the DX SDK?

2) Has anyone made some tests with D2D and D3D10? Is it worth to delve into this topic?

Direct2D ships in the windows SDK and not the DX SDK.

I've written a game console using DWrite and D2D and it worked quite well.

I have visual studio 2008, so I automatically have one windows SDK version installed, havent I? How can I check which version of the windows SDK I currently have installed?

The SDK that ships with your Visual studio is not complete. The real one is much bigger than 100mb.

To use Direct2D, you need to download the Windows7 SDK. When you want to use Direct2D on Windows Vista, you also need the DirectX11 patch for it.

SDK

Vista Patch

Direct2D is really nice and easy to use. I like it :)

Quote:
Original post by WuTz
The SDK that ships with your Visual studio is not complete. The real one is much bigger than 100mb.

To use Direct2D, you need to download the Windows7 SDK. When you want to use Direct2D on Windows Vista, you also need the DirectX11 patch for it.

SDK

Vista Patch

Direct2D is really nice and easy to use. I like it :)

Thanks for the information and the links!

I just checked out the "D2D Interop D3D" sample and to be honest I dont think it looks easy to use. Its meant to be an introduction to D2D and the sample has more than 2000 lines of code and it seems like every method has 10 parameters. It really doesnt look that simple.
But my biggest problem is still the lack of information. Thanks to this thread I now have 2 samples, but seriously, I want a full tutorial or at least a very detailed API reference, but I cant neither of it.

Do you really think its worth to delve into D2D (though I still dont know how, since I cant find tutorials) if I just need text rendering in my D3D10 app?

Oh, there is a documentation of Direct2D:

Just go to Start -> Microsoft windows SDV v7.0 -> Documentation.
And from there: Win32 and COM development -> Graphics and multimedia -> Direct2D

Quote:
Original post by WuTz
Oh, there is a documentation of Direct2D:

Just go to Start -> Microsoft windows SDV v7.0 -> Documentation.
And from there: Win32 and COM development -> Graphics and multimedia -> Direct2D

Hehe, in the meantime I found that info too. Anyway, thanks!

Quote:
Original post by DieterVW
I've written a game console using DWrite and D2D and it worked quite well.

Could you please post or send me some screenshots of your console?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!