• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ammar26

Directx9 + Directx10 Confusion Help Plz?

This topic is 3164 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new to Direct X API still confuse to decide which one to choose between x9 and x10 i have some questions , plz help me All DirectX9 functions from D3D9 are available in DirectX10 D3D10 ? If i program something in DirectX 10 ? Will it will be easy to convert it in DirectX9 compatible somehow ? And will directx 10 Programs run in Windows 7 (directX 11) ? I want to program my Game in High Graphics using DirectX 10 but i still want to introduce a LOW GRAPHICS OPTION in my game that run on Direct X9 for XP users , how will i perform that ? Do i have to reprogram the whole Game in DirectX9 , or Do i need to just change the function calls inside the game ? do i need to create separate EXE for both ? Please help me DirectX experts , i'm beginner and confused

Advertisement
You can't use D3D10 or D3D11 on XP. On Vista and 7 you can use D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11.

D3D10 is a different API than D3D9, so you have to rewrite considerable amounts of rendering code if you port between the two. In addition, some features of the newer APIs simply aren't available in D3D9 at all.

D3D10 and D3D11 are much more closer. In fact, since D3D11 is a superset of functionality of D3D10, there's not much point in using D3D10. And D3D11 lets you target old hardware too.

The DX SDK sample framework shows how you can dynamically switch between D3D9 and D3D10 (or D3D11). However, this means that you still have to write two entirely separate rendering paths. This is a lot of work. And the dynamic switching is a relatively advanced subject by itself.

Thanks Brother for Help
What you suggest for me
I'm new to DirectX , from where should i start
Dx9 or Dx10 ?

D3D11, if you can use Vista or 7 for development.

Although backporting to D3D9 will not be easy, I think that you should go with as robust option as you can to get the project started.

It will take a long while to make a game, so the D3D11 penetration will be much greater once it is time to actually publish the game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!