What should I do?

Started by
6 comments, last by skill3r333 14 years ago
First I would like to say HELLO I'm new here don't flame on me to hard. Today I'm going to ask is it worth it to create game(s)? I know its a dumb question and pretty bleak, the reason why I'm asking is I love video games plain and simple they help me get away from certain stresses But I'm saying I really want to contribute to the gaming industry I'm tired of being just a lecher, I want to create games for other to enjoy not just play them know what I mean? I really wish I could get into doing these for people not for the money or even a good reputation. In this day in age I see gaming as a good way to better your self an actually impact people lives, For example helping other to get a stick in the bundle of gaming. I currently have no skills as of now I'm trying out C++ and (I know it sucks)Visual Basic. My maths skills are horrible ADHD is to blame for it as I was studied and basically deemed unfit for English and Maths. C++ to me is very hard but I'm willing to endure the pain lol. as of now I'm messing with a few programs to get the feel of things like UDK,Blender,PhotoShop and Visual Studio 2010 Currently I don't see the need for a Degree as books and the internet can give me the same knowledge just not the "Community". As in the future I would like to attend one to better my self. I hope you guys can make sense of me babbling on and maybe give me a few pointers. -Jordan
Advertisement
First of all, you should work on writing more coherently. This isn't the worst we've gotten around here, by a long shot, but still. Second, playing games and making them have very little in common. Game development is usually long hours of often tedious work. In any case, making them for yourself is a pretty solid start to try and find out if it's something you'd be interested in. Plan on doing a lot of math work.
Quote:Currently I don't see the need for a Degree as books and the internet can give me the same knowledge just not the "Community".
As in the future I would like to attend one to better my self.
You may or may not need the degree for the knowledge. You will need the degree if you want a job in this industry.

Lastly, ditch C++. It's not a good starting point. Get moving with XNA instead.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Sorry my writing skills are not top notch as you see.
Also yes I wanted to make games for my self before I'd release anything.
I didn't mean to say College was completely useless or anything I'm just saying
this from my point of view; At my stage I wouldn't attend one until I'm completely ready for it.
I was reading around the net people were saying that C++ was the best start to get ahead? XNA does look nice and I'll be jumping it to it ASAP.
Quote:Original post by skill3r333
(I know it sucks)Visual Basic.

I guess you got that from some elitists in another forum. I want to make this point clear: Programming languages and engines and platforms are tools to achieve a means, not a means in its end. And Visual Basic doesn't "suck", just because it doesn't have the same flair as C++ doesn't mean that it doesn't have its advantages.

Personally, I'm here at gamedev because of a Visual Basic game (gasp) that inspired me.
Ahh I see every time I'd bring up VB I'd get flamed.
is it worth it to create game(s)?

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/route66.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was reading around the net people were saying that C++ was the best start to get ahead?

If what you want to do in games is to program them, and if you want to program console games or packaged product PC games, yes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
If what you want to do in games is to program them, and if you want to program console games or packaged product PC games, yes.

The link you provided was straight forward just the way I like it :)

My new goal is to start really small then work my way to the bigger side.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement