OpenGl and access violations...a sad story

Started by
5 comments, last by griffenjam 22 years, 8 months ago
I''m trying to use glDrawPixels() and am not having ANY luck. I''m sending an unsigned char * but when the function runs I get an ACCESS VIOLATION!!! When I debug it it looks like the violation is in one of my video cards driver files (nVidia GeForce 2). This is all happening inside a class, I was also getting access violations when trying to set a value in the array. That is fixed now (I don''t really know how). is this correct? unsigned char *bitmap; bitmap = new unsigned char[imagesize]; //load the bitmap . . glDrawPixels(,,,, bitmap); if so why am I getting access violations? also why would mearly setting a value in bitmap (bitmap[0] = ''a'' cause an acces violation? Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net ------------------------------ "Evil attacks from all sides but the greatest evil attacks from within." Me ------------------------------
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Advertisement
#define Height 64
#defein width 64
GLubyte *bitmap;

bitmap = new GLubyte bitmap[height][width];
//load the bitmap
glDrawPixels(Width, height, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, bitmap);

make sure that the type ie ''GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE'' is the same type as the data u are using. the abouve code should work.. plz post a rply if it does/doesnt

~prevail by daring to fail~
I am reading from a file straight into bitmap.

read(bitmap, sizeof(unsigned char), datasize, fp);

Would a 2d array work with this?
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
shit i fogot to ass another array tot the bitmap array

#define Height 64
#defein width 64
GLubyte *bitmap;

bitmap = new GLubyte bitmap[height][width][3];
//load the bitmap
glDrawPixels(Width, height, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, bitmap);

the following wont do ne thing. u dont know the actuall size of each variable ie a 24bpp bitmap will have 8bits (a byte) per color adn so the variables will have to be of type GLubyte || unsigned short (dont use char and all data will be unsigned!!!). and also if u load the entire file into the array u will also get the file header in with thae data and u dont want that. if u dont know the file structire of a bmp ull have to go find out so u can extract the depth information and the data offset from the begining of the file.

read(bitmap, sizeof(unsigned char), datasize, fp);

~prevail by daring to fail~
>> bitmap = new unsigned char[imagesize]; <<

are u taking account of the images bitdepth eg
greyscale = imagesize*1
RGB = imagesize*3
RGBA = imagesize*4
In my code I have already grabed the file header, that is where I got the imagesize value from.
No, I have not taken the type of image into account, none of the sample code that I have seen has either.
Nor would it matter for the question I am asking. IT doesn''t matter what I''m loading or it I''m loading it wrong, wrong data wouldn''t give an access violation, it jus''t wouldn''t work right.
AFAIK the statement
bitmap[1] = temp; //Where temp is of type unsigned char
should cause ANY problems.
I am testing to make sure I was able to allocate the memory.
Why am I getting access violations?
I can worry about the bitmap loading being incorrect when I can actaully run my code,
as it is I can''t test anything.
u should get an access voilation (or some error)

ubyte data[2*2] // 4 pixels

glDrawPixels( GL_RGB, 2,2, ubyte, data ) // bang error

drawpixels wants 12 pixels ie 2x2x3 (3 cause its RGB) but youve only given it 4

try this in your code
bitmap = new unsigned char[imagesize*4];
instead of
bitmap = new unsigned char[imagesize];

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement