• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Splinter of Chaos

OpenGL glClear causes process to not close!

This topic is 3078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Having the line glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT ) in my function update_screen, causes the process not to be able to exit! It worked fine, before, but my laptop bricked, i got a new one, and now on this new laptop, on Fedora (Linux) 13, i get this error. Fedora 13 is in alpha stages, so this very well could be an OS problem, especially since the code worked before. But before i was working on Fedora 12, so it also feels unlikely. The fallowing is my main.cpp with every line that could be deleted is deleted while still producing the problem.
#include "ScopeGuard.h"

#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <SDL/SDL_opengl.h>

// FUNCTIONS //
GLenum init_gl( int w, int h )
{
    glClearColor( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f );

glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
    glLoadIdentity();
    glOrtho( 0, w, h, 0, -1, 1 );

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
    glLoadIdentity();

return glGetError();
}

bool make_sdl_gl_window( int w, int h )
{
    if( ! SDL_SetVideoMode(w, h, 32, SDL_OPENGL) )
        return false;
    init_gl( w, h );
    return true;
}

void update_screen()
{
    glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );
}

int main()
{
    // Portably suppresses unused variable compiler warnings.
    #define NOT_USED(var) ((void)(var))

bool quit = false;
    SDL_Event event;

if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) < 0 )
        return 1;
    make_sdl_gl_window( 1200, 800 );
    ScopeGuard quitSdl = scope_guard( SDL_Quit ); NOT_USED( quitSdl ); 

while( quit == false )
    {
        while( SDL_PollEvent( &event ) )
        {
            if( event.type == SDL_QUIT )
                quit = true;
        }

Uint8* keyState = SDL_GetKeyState( 0 );
        if( keyState[SDLK_ESCAPE] )
            quit = true;

update_screen();
    }
}

If you're not familiar with Scope guard, check this out. What happens is the window appears. I hit esc (or click the X). The process' status goes to "sleeping". I go into System Monitor and "end process" and the window closes. Compiler information:
$ g++ -o run -Wall -lGL -lSDL main.cpp
$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-redhat-linux
Configured with: ...
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.3 20100409 (Red Hat 4.4.3-16) (GCC) 
EDIT: Removed the info in Configured with: since it made the post's width unbearable.

Advertisement
You forgot the most important thing, the GL implementation. Mesa? NVIDIA's? ATI fglrx?

But anyway, that is clearly a driver bug.

I'm not an SDL user so I don't know the function name, but you don't seem to be presenting the back-buffer to the screen at any point.
Perhaps if you flip the buffers then the driver won't hang.

[edit]The function name might be: SDL_GL_SwapBuffers
[edit2]Alternatively, try calling glFinish before exiting, to let the driver know that you're waiting on it.

Quote:
Original post by HuntsMan
You forgot the most important thing, the GL implementation. Mesa? NVIDIA's? ATI fglrx?

Mesa. I could not get drivers installed for my graphics card, so i'm using that. (I was told driver implementations included openGL implementations.)

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
I'm not an SDL user so I don't know the function name, but you don't seem to be presenting the back-buffer to the screen at any point.

Correct. The error occurred with or without that line, so i deleted it to narrow down my focus.

Have you tried connecting a gdb to the process after hitting ESC?

You say "gdb -p <process_id>". The debugger will attach and will halt the process and put up a command prompt.

"where" will show where the process is; it'll be a list of locations; hopefully one of them will tell you where it's waiting. If they're not useful, add "-ggdb" to your compile and link commands (it puts in extra information for the debugger).

"cont" will set the process running again. Ctrl-c will then drop the process back to the gdb command line so you can do more investigation.

"quit" will exit gdb.

'that is clearly a driver bug'

It seems a little early to be presuming that. If glClear() didn't work, a fairly large number of people are likely to noticed before now. I'm not saying the drivers don't have any bugs, but here is Katie's Beginner Programmer Rule Number One; "your code is the least tested part of whatever system you are trying to build and hence you should suspect that first and for quite a long time".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!