• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kwalski

Don't know where to start

This topic is 3165 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I want to start programming for a rpg game that can be used online and have a username/password system set up and can also access a database for a leaderboards thing. The visual will be somewhat of a point and click simple GUI (something like final fantasy or any other similar games). Unfortunately I don't know which language would be the best for this or if I would need to go through a specific software for the graphics/animations. I know c# and java, but I am more comfortable with c#. The biggest thing that I want is that it is embedded in html in some way, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Advertisement
Are you planning to have dynamic content (like lots of animations, special effects when attacking units, etc.) or a rather static interface (few animations, player image, overview of stats).

If its the later one you might be fine sticking to html and use a scripting language such as php, asp.net and set up a webserver on your computer that runs your program (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAMPP - there are also some notes to for windows, look for WAMPP).

For the first case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash might be better. Programming effects and sounds is probably nicer with that. This can then be embedded in html.

Or you could also simply stick to java and use Java WebStart (there are guys using it to run Quake II with it from the browser http://bytonic.de/html/jake2_webstart.html...

You can use C# to create web applications. You can learn how at MSDN.

To test your code, you can use an IIS webserver and SQL Express database.

I am not sure how to handle the graphics, but I suppose you should be able to look that up.

Well to start off with I'm going to keep it pretty plain with graphics and animation, but the biggest thing I want to do is be able to upgrade this. Eventually into a 3D game. (i.e. it would start off like a 3d chess game almost (if you've seen vandal hearts) and then if I can get enough done a 3d rpg that has individual accounts and allows me to customize their world and items, but before all that I want to keep it simple to learn the basics)

The best language to do this in would be the one you know the best -- which appears to be C#. Since it's all quite possible using C# and related technology, that's what you should use.

Since your best is C#, I recommend going with that. In terms of a place to start, start drafting up a design document. I don't know if you have other people to work on this with your or not but when you have a group or team, that's where the document really comes in handy. Regardless drafting up the document gets you thinking about the general focus of the game, and what you want to work towards. It's easy to get distracted and work on things that dont matter if you dont have a clear vision. There are some good references on the site for how to write a good document.

If you know C#, I would look into XNA, and you could possibly look into some level of XBox Live integration for the online component? Unfortunately, that isn't my area of expertise. For a web-based game, Flash and/or javascript may be the way to go. Fortunately, ActionScript is very easy to pick up, especially if you already know C# & Java.

If you do want to develop with Flash/ActionScript, download FlashDevelop so you can start coding without needing a copy of Flash itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!