• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
emforce

XNA rpg maps?

This topic is 3084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, So i have been playing around with xna and c# for a while now and I have always wondered how I would create a huge map. Like say if we look at one of the regions in WoW, like that doesn't seem procedurally generated, so is one region like one big model that they have put together? Any input would be great thanks!

Advertisement
This isn't really an XNA or C#-specific question. There are a variety of ways to represent your maps.

You could use a tilemap, a heightfield, or a vector field, with meshes placed on it for buildings, etc. If it's indoors you could use a BSP tree.

WoW probably uses a heightmap because the terrain doesn't have overlapping areas.Everything is added as separate meshes on the terrain.As for dungeon entrances they are still meshes which create a hole in the terrain where you can pass through.You can achieve this by making the terrain at dungeon entrances transparent and changing the way the user collides with the terrain when he is on a dungeon mesh(ie. ignoring terrain collision and checking against the dungeon mesh).

Oh and I have no idea how WoW does it these are just my thoughts on how it could be done :)

I will try using heightmaps! There are quite a few tutorials on the web so hopefully it shouldn't be to hard to implement :)

Btw I take it that the terrain drawn onto these things is all procedurally done? like if point.x > whatever
point.x is rendered with grass?

something like that?

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Original post by emforce
Btw I take it that the terrain drawn onto these things is all procedurally done? like if point.x > whatever
point.x is rendered with grass?

No. Typically it's manually painted by a texture/environment artist using whatever tools they have for their map formats. They will limit the number of textures and layering for sure, but it's humans that figure out where to place them

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!