• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iammfa

The way to professional 3d game development

This topic is 2989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, After the great effort I had made in learning C++ language, Keen to continue to access the degree of professional games programming, My dream is to have the ability to professional 3d games programming in the future, eager to spend in every second to gain experience, When I started programming games using ready-engines such as..: Unity3d Dx studio 3d game studio ..etc I feel that I waste my time to gain experience in the software is not meaningful, and to reach a true professional 3d games programming such as: Hitman Blood Money Max Payne Need for Speed Most Wanted ..etc BUT | I heard that if the programmer want be professional game programmer it must be professional in following tools: directX openGL C++ Is this -really- enough for develop high level 3d games?or I must use ready made engines? I hope guide me regards iammfa

Advertisement
If you want to be a programmer:

C++: definitely
DirectX: if you want to be a graphics programmer
OpenGL: not so much. 360 is DirectX, so PC games are also usually DirectX (less to port if it's a multi-platform title). But it never hurts to know it

A ton of the big developers use the Unreal Engine now, so familiarity with that is currently a huge plus.

But more important than any particular tool is just spending the time to develop and complete your own games. That will give you a sense of the scope of the work involved.

-me

Quote:
Original post by iammfa
Thanks Palidine for reply, is this mean I'll use C++ and unreal engine only?

No. It depends entirely on the company. C++ is a safe bet; that's the industry standard though there are certainly exceptions (some people use strict C, and others will have you doing work in LUA or Python scripting systems, the stray C# tool, etc).

Unreal again is also fairly prevalent: EA, Ubisoft, and some other places.

There is nothing that everyone uses. I'm just telling you what's "most common"

-me

Quote:
Original post by iammfa
1. I feel that I waste my time to gain experience in the software is not meaningful
2. Is this -really- enough for develop high level 3d games?

1. No, it was not a waste of your time. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson51.htm
2. Nothing is enough. You should learn lots of tools and try lots of things. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson49.htm

Quote:
Original post by iammfa
Is this -really- enough for develop high level 3d games?or I must use ready made engines?

You also need a good grasp on math, at least you should be firm on Linear Algebra and basic Calculus.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!