• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheMac

What to do with this project I have so far?

This topic is 3168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a demo of what I've been working on for the last year. There is a complex game concept behind it but I am working on it in baby steps, right now its a simple FPS. I am at the point where I have all this code, and a lot of time invested in it, but can't find anyone that has the skill and willingness to work on this project with me. I have established an LLC a few years ago with the intent to publish this game in a series of expansions and make this a marketable product. If anyone is interested in working with me on this let me know. Below will be a list of features the code base has already along with a link to a demo. The demo has sound, but my recorder doesn't, and its choppy because I ran the demo in debug mode. Features: Rendering: Ogre is used as the rendering engine, but the code was designed to make it some what easy for the game logic to target another engine as the game expands and becomes more complex. Nature: a library that focuses on rendering out door environments. This needs updating because of Ogre's new terrain system Post Effects: there is a basic library that does post effects: motion blur, SSAO, HDR AI: OpenSteer: steering is done using open steer. There are some issues I haven't fixed yet when avoiding obstacles, but the basics are in place: pursuing, and wandering GUI: using a strategy design pattern, I incorporated MyGui, and CEGUI, but haven't tested CEGUI in about 6 months so a day or two would have to be spent updating it to fit the current framework. I also have an overlays library but it isn't seen as a GUI by the framework. This isn't a big deal, but I mostly use it to create a simple interface using LUA for testing purposes. IO: I have a custom IO library based on Irrlicht's IO namespace except it also supports asynchronous IO on Windows (Linux is not supported yet). For a database, I use SqlLite as a database, and I have a flat file system Sound: The sounds engine is based off of OgerAL, but I am not using the wav format only ogg. Physics: I am again using the strategy design pattern to allow options. The current options are Bullet and ODE. I haven't used Bullet in about 6 months so it would need to be updated to fit the framework changes that have been in place since then. Tools: Level Converter: Converts Artifex, OgScene, and DotScene into a custom (simple) XML format that the framework uses to load a level. All levels are loaded using XML at the moment. I was going to create a binary format when it was time to release it of course, but XML is great for debugging purposes. Loading Scenes: One library is responsible for loading scenes (SceneLoader). It takes on the XML format and converts it into something the framework and Ogre can work with. In later versions I was going to add a database format and a binary format for it to load. Other Features: Ragdoll: using OgreOde Paging Terrain: using Ogre's new terrain system Video: using Theora Vehicles: using OgreOde Youtube video:
This is what I have and because I can't find a team to work it I am not sure what I can do with this, or if this code is really worth anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
I would fix the frame behind issue between the character and the camera. Add some particle effects to the bullets and where the bullet hits. Way more animation (aiming, recoil, reload, jump).

More AI agents, have them be aware of the player.

Why would you record a demo in debug? Does it not run in release?

It looked a bit jumpy to me, if you can make it run smoother I think it has potential.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!